none
Clustering VMs RRS feed

• Question

• I got an idea of what I would like to do, but Im a bit unsure of if it will work.   The basic idea is I would like to have a multi-instance cluster of say 5 hosts running hyper-v. On each of these hosts I would like to run say 4 VMs.  Now if any of these hosts hardware dies, I would like it to fail over one of each of the VM's to a diffrent remaining host.  (assuming that each guest uses 1Gb of RAM).

Some of my questions are:

Can I do it so that each of the VM's fails over to a diffrent server?

Do each of the VM's need to be on thier own LUN?

I assume that I would need at least 1Gb extra unusued RAM incase of fail over.  Can I just use the page file (knowing that it will cause performance loss)?

Can I do this with just an extra 1 gig of RAM on each server or do I need to have enough RAM incase 2 servers fail (the min to remain in quorum)?

How many OS licenses would I need? Just 5 enterprise licenses?

One other question, can you do a Server cluster on the Hosts, and a NLB cluster on the guests at the same time?

Monday, January 28, 2008 9:49 PM

Answers

• q) Can I do it so that each of the VM's fails over to a diffrent server?

a) You do not control where VMs fail over to - clustering decides that for you.

q) Do each of the VM's need to be on thier own LUN?

a) While there are other configuration options - this is the prefered one.

q) I assume that I would need at least 1Gb extra unusued RAM incase of fail over.  Can I just use the page file (knowing that it will cause performance loss)?

a) You need the extra physical memory.  Page file cannot be used.

q) Can I do this with just an extra 1 gig of RAM on each server or do I need to have enough RAM incase 2 servers fail (the min to remain in quorum)?

a) That is up to you.

q) How many OS licenses would I need? Just 5 enterprise licenses?

a) If you never planned to have more than 4 VMs per box.

q) One other question, can you do a Server cluster on the Hosts, and a NLB cluster on the guests at the same time?

a) yes.

Cheers,

Ben

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 5:42 PM

All replies

• q) Can I do it so that each of the VM's fails over to a diffrent server?

a) You do not control where VMs fail over to - clustering decides that for you.

q) Do each of the VM's need to be on thier own LUN?

a) While there are other configuration options - this is the prefered one.

q) I assume that I would need at least 1Gb extra unusued RAM incase of fail over.  Can I just use the page file (knowing that it will cause performance loss)?

a) You need the extra physical memory.  Page file cannot be used.

q) Can I do this with just an extra 1 gig of RAM on each server or do I need to have enough RAM incase 2 servers fail (the min to remain in quorum)?

a) That is up to you.

q) How many OS licenses would I need? Just 5 enterprise licenses?

a) If you never planned to have more than 4 VMs per box.

q) One other question, can you do a Server cluster on the Hosts, and a NLB cluster on the guests at the same time?

a) yes.

Cheers,

Ben

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 5:42 PM
  • After reading into it a little more, I think what I want to do is change the prefered failover order so that if possible (assuming hardware failure of some kind), it would balance my VMs on diffrent servers  (http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/477ac7f5-a824-44ca-b159-1be42f1f5b8a1033.mspx)

Thank you for all your help.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:59 PM