Azure IoT Hub pricing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm wondering how to design a solution where there are 8000 events per second from the devices and bidirectional communication is a must. A short calculation for the Azure IoT Hub:

**calculation
    I followed this link for pricing https://azure.microsoft.com/nl-nl/pricing/details/iot-hub/

8000 messages/sec
    691M messages/day

(691M / 6M) * $500 = $57600
    **end calculation

How can I reduse costs in such a scenario. Use the IoT Hub and Event Hub side to side?

Regards,
    Chris
    Friday, June 17, 2016 1:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Chris

Depending on the message size in your scenario, event hubs might be a cheaper route, check this for reference. However there's a couple of things to keep in mind in this case;

-Event Hubs can support less messages simultaneously so it'll throttle in case you hit those limits.

-You'll have to implement the Cloud to device message logic manually.

-Your SAS keys and security policies are going to be per group not per device in this case. IoT hub provides per device registery and security so if your project doesn't have such requirements, it might be way cheaper.

Hope this helps!

Mert

Monday, June 20, 2016 10:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Chris

Depending on the message size in your scenario, event hubs might be a cheaper route, check this for reference. However there's a couple of things to keep in mind in this case;

-Event Hubs can support less messages simultaneously so it'll throttle in case you hit those limits.

-You'll have to implement the Cloud to device message logic manually.

-Your SAS keys and security policies are going to be per group not per device in this case. IoT hub provides per device registery and security so if your project doesn't have such requirements, it might be way cheaper.

Hope this helps!

Mert

Monday, June 20, 2016 10:45 AM
  • Hi Mert,

Yes this helps!

In my case, your third statement is the most important one for the decision.

Chris

Thursday, June 23, 2016 7:44 AM