none
Question about the use of MSDN software RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I've been trying to work out the answer to this, and apologies if this is worded badly!

Does the MSDN licensing allow for a user to use the software for learning on thier own time/own kit when MSDN is provided by an employer? I've been trying to find a straight answer for this, and it's giving me a headache!

and i hope this does make sense!

cheers :-)

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 9:57 PM

Answers

• Thanks Wolf!  Totally makes sense!

The short answer is Yes it allows home use.  

The longer answer is:

Under the MSDN license, there is no difference between a PC at work and a home PC; the home PC is just another device on which the developer is entitled use the MSDN software.

However, the restrictions for the MSDN software running on the developer’s home PC remain the same as in the work environment: the MSDN software installed on the home PC must only be used for design, development and testing purposes; and only other users with an appropriate MSDN subscription can use the software.

The longest answer is how to find the above bit I quoted from, which is to start at this help page on MSDN Subscriptions Licensing: http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/cc150618.aspx, and then check out the Licensing Whitepaper linked from there under this link:

Need the full details?  Download the Visual Studio 2013 and MSDN licensing white paper.

That white paper includes a section titled "Where the software can be installed and run" that lays this all out.

Does this answer your question?

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 10:13 PM