none
Anonymous permission for Access Web App RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to grant anonymous read-only permission to an Access Web App? I set "Allow External Users" in Admin of SharePoint site and shared to an external email address. Seemed to work with "Edit" permission but not "Read-only"

Thanks

John Fletcher

Thursday, September 10, 2015 11:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi John,

As far as I know, the default permission for the extern user is "site members" which has "Design" and "Edit" permission. We can assign "Read" permission like figure below:

And you can more detail about permission management from link below:
    Set permissions on an Access Web App

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, September 11, 2015 2:51 AM
  • When I try this it always asks to login with a Microsoft account. I sent an invite to a gmail account and it will not work even though "Allow External Users" permission has been set in SharePoint. Is this typical? Will everyone need a Microsoft email account?

Thanks

John Fletcher

Friday, September 11, 2015 2:11 PM
  • Hi,

does your web app sit on a Sharepoint on premises or on Sharpoint Online i.e. Office 365?

In the letter case everyone (also invited external users) needs either a Microsoft account (formerly Passport, Office Live Id) or an Office365 Id (this can be from a different O365 account).

cu
    Karl
    Access FAQ (de/it): donkarl.com
    Access Lobby: AccessDevelopers.org

Friday, September 11, 2015 3:46 PM
  • If you talking about office 365 (as opposed to you OWN server), then invited uses can have ANY kind of email, but they must associate the email with a live id.

A bit of “semantics” since now a live ID does NOT require ANY KIND of Microsoft email account at all of any kind!

So you can continue to use Gmail, or yahoo or whatever as the logon and invited account.

I suppose it is a “bit” moot to point out that while these emails can be used, they must associate the email with a live ID. However the change is having a Live id does not require you have a Microsoft email or office 365 email of ANY kind whatsoever now.

So invited users do not need any kind of Microsoft email of any kind, but they will have to attach their email to a live ID for your invites above to work.

Regards,
    Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Friday, September 11, 2015 8:21 PM
  • Here we go again:

Since 2012 the former "Live Id" has been called "Microsoft Account": http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/sign-in-what-is-microsoft-account

Also before, when it was called "Live Id", you could use your own email address from a different provider than MS: http://www.7tutorials.com/simple-questions-what-windows-live-id

Again about 5 years before that, when it was called "Microsoft Passport" or ".NET Passport", you could use your existing email address from any provider and associate it with a Passport. That's what I did a 15 years ago and continued over all 3 to 5 naming periods (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_account).

So I'm not sure if "Now, now, NOT ANY KIND" is breaking news. ;-)

cu
    Karl

Friday, September 11, 2015 9:22 PM
  • Hi John,

As far as I know, SharePoint Online needs a Microsoft account or a work or school account to share the sites or documents with people outside your organization. You can get more detail about this topic from link below:

Manage sharing with external users in Office 365 Small Business

If you still have the problem about using SharePoint, I suggest that you reopen a new thread in forum below:
    SharePoint 2013 - General Discussions and Questions

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, September 14, 2015 8:21 AM
  • Right, but in the past as far as I can remember, to use a live ID you needed "some kind" of Microsoft email id to get the live id. After that, then you could associate ANY kind of gmail of any type (even non Microsoft) to that live ID.

The difference now is you don't need any kind of Microsoft email or any kind of office 365 email accoiunt. As I stated, a bit of "semantics" in that you don't need a Microsoft email of any kind - but you still need to associate that email with a live id, but that live ID is not a email account nor does it have to be.

So you need a Microsoft live id, but  now don't require a Microsoft email of any kind.

Regards,

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Monday, September 14, 2015 3:47 PM
  • Right - to SHARE the site you need to be a owner of the site. (no question, no confusing).

We are not talking about the person sharing   the site - but what the invited user requires to logon to the site.

You can invite ANYONE and that INCLUDES non-Microsoft email users to a 365 site.

So such users can use their Gmail email as their logon. The only issue (or confusing) is that such users must FIRST associate their Gmail or non-microsoft with a free live id.

Once the above association is done, then such users can be invited to any office 365 site, and use that site for 100% free and use that site 100% without any kind of 365 account email, or even any kind of Microsoft email of any kind!

And for re-sets of passwords etc. the end user manages this, NOT the site administrator! (so each user goes to live id to re-set their passwords etc. – the 365 site admin NEVER sees or even has to deal with this issue – however the 365 site admin can remove the invited users from the site).

So invited users are free (for the first 500 users – or 500 per month – not 100% clear on this one), and they don’t require any kind of 365 account.

The only requirement is they associate their external non Microsoft email with a free live ID. Once done, then they can and will logon to the 365 site with their non-Microsoft email account.

So no Microsoft email or 365 email is not required. And no kind of 365 account is required for this end user. And associating that email with a live ID is a free process.

While such invited users will have full use of the site they been invited to (including published Access applications), they of course cannot invite others and manage the site like the owner can.  And they cannot of course do things like create new sites etc. However to allow customers or clients to share documents on a site - this invite feature is quite much the whole idea behind this sharing of a site. Forcing clients and customers to obtain a 365 account to share a word document  would make no sense at all.

Regards,
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Monday, September 14, 2015 4:00 PM
  • Hi Albert,

no, you need a Microsoft Account. You may not like the terminology but IMO it doesn't help people with questions to use obsolete names that more and more vanish from MS help sites etc.

I never had "some kind of Microsoft email id" and was able to acquire a Passport anyway (and later another Microsoft Account with another non-MS email address).

So I can't see no difference to the current situation except for some technical backgrounds and naming. Nothing the user has to care about has changed in the last >10 years.

BTW The limit of 500 external users you could invite in Small Business (for E* accounts the limit was 10000) has been dropped half a year ago. There is no limit anymore for the number of external users in O365.

cu
    Karl

Monday, September 14, 2015 4:34 PM
  • I most happy accept that you need a Microsoft account, but that account is asked for during the office 365 logon – the users email is!!

And if I am wrong about in the past the requirement of having some Microsoft email, then I am simply wrong (no big deal – changes really nothing of my point being made here).

So I’m not actually trying to confuse things here but in fact point out the reverse.

The VERY COMMON and VERY WIDESPREAD myth is that you are asked for something else other than your non-Microsoft ID during the logon process.

When such an invited user logs on to 365, they are not requested to type in some live id. They NEVER at any point during this logon process type in a live id but are simply typing in their non-Microsoft email such as Gmail or wherever.

Thus one never at ANY POINT DURING the logon process into 365 have to type in some live ID despite that occurring behind the scenes.

I think there is far more confusing in that some kind of live ID is required to be entered by the user during the logon process – it is not. Once the user has the live ID, then they don’t type in that live ID during the logon process.

So to be clear:

During the logon process to 365, the end user will not type in some live id. During the logon process into 365 the user will not have to type in or use some Microsoft email account. In fact the user NEVER at ANY point during this logon process has to reference the live ID.

I reasonable sure the confusing here is far worse in regards that users are able to logon into 365, and they don’t have to type in or reference anything else but their non-Microsoft email during that process. If there was some other issue here, then I am all ears????

So yes, they do need to setup the live ID, but once done, they not bothered with the live ID during the logon process, and they don’t type in some live ID during that process and they in fact get to use their existing non Microsoft email account for that logon process.

Regards,
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Monday, September 14, 2015 6:29 PM