Is Single Layer DVD sufficient to write the ISO of Dev Preview with developer tools?

Question

• I downloaded the Windows 8 Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64) and found it to have more than 4.8GB of ISO file. Will the Single Layer DVD-R sufficient (i read it to have a capcity of 4.7GB) sufficient? Has anyone tried?

Please provide details..

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:52 AM

Answers

• On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 10:52:16 +0000, AustinAjit wrote:

I downloaded the Windows 8 Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64) and found it to have more than 4.8GB of ISO file. Will the Single Layer DVD-R sufficient (i read it to have a capcity of 4.7GB) sufficient? Has anyone tried?

No, for that you'll need a dual layer, however, if you google/bing for
    install windows 8 from USB you'll find lots of detail on how to install
    from USB.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Don't hit the keys so hard, it hurts.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:54 AM

All replies

• On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 10:52:16 +0000, AustinAjit wrote:

I downloaded the Windows 8 Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64) and found it to have more than 4.8GB of ISO file. Will the Single Layer DVD-R sufficient (i read it to have a capcity of 4.7GB) sufficient? Has anyone tried?

No, for that you'll need a dual layer, however, if you google/bing for
    install windows 8 from USB you'll find lots of detail on how to install
    from USB.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Don't hit the keys so hard, it hurts.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:54 AM
  • Since I don't have a 8GB flash drive or a DL DVD, can I install first the Windows 8 DP x64 without the Developer Tools, and after installing it install the tools?
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:48 PM
  • Since I don't have a 8GB flash drive or a DL DVD, can I install first the Windows 8 DP x64 without the Developer Tools, and after installing it install the tools?
    No, only the 64-bit version with developer tools will install the WinRT SDK that is needed to create Metro apps.

Myself, I just went and bought a 5-pack of dual-layer DVD's. Cost about US $15.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:00 PM
  •  Thanks for your help Dave. I'll do that tomorrow.
    Monday, October 31, 2011 6:35 PM

Yes.   That's exactly what I did.   Burned the small one to DVD.   Installed that.   Then used W8's  ISO Mount feature to install the larger one.   A disappointment is that doing that causes an in-place install to be done, thus losing the original install.   Another disappointment was finding out that we can't install to a removable drive (e.g. my backup drive USB-SATA).  I had reserved a new partition on it for the larger install.   I was also apprehensive about doing the in-place install into a partition on my main drive (e.g. where my original W7 is), especially since the install asks the question:  What do you want to keep? and then gives a hard-coded  Nothing for my answer!   Fortunately, it was just relative to the partition it was being run from but the question did make me take a long pause, take an image backup of everything on that drive, AND make sure that my backup drive was not connected to the machine when I did the install.   ; )

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 3:49 PM