none
Newbie - Problem spawning a thread RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm kind a new to this VS .net stuff. I'm building my first application in VB.net. It's a crystal report scheduler using multithread functionality.  The program works fine on my machine, but when I deploy it, the part that suppose to spawn the thread doesn't work. Other part of the program works fine, but when it's time to spawn the thread, nothing happen.  Any body got any idea? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Rudy

Thursday, March 23, 2006 1:07 AM

All replies

•  

AngRudy, is the app in question either on a network share or drive other than the system-drive?

What is the trust level of your application as set in the project properties?

Thursday, March 23, 2006 3:21 AM
  • The application is installed on the C: drive of the system. I'm not sure about the trust level. Where do I set it?
    Thursday, March 23, 2006 5:32 PM
  •  

Project | Properties | Security

Thursday, March 23, 2006 6:12 PM
  • I don't see any security option under project. What am I missing? Could it be because this is windows application and not web application?
    Thursday, March 23, 2006 6:24 PM
  •  

No.

Are you running VS2005?

btw, that was Project Properties....

Thursday, March 23, 2006 7:42 PM
  • No, I'm running 2003. I've check again under project properties. It doesn't have anything assosicated with security. When I go to properties, it open up a windows. In there I can set the Common properties (General, Build, Import etc) and Configuration properties (Debugging, Deployment etc). Nothing on securities.

Thursday, March 23, 2006 8:11 PM
  •  

I must apologize... it's been a long time since I've seen 2003.

Let's see if we can't develop a test. Do you have a try catch block around the spaec code? Is there an exception at all?

Can we see the code?

Thursday, March 23, 2006 11:11 PM
  • No problem at all.

Yes, I do have try and catch around the code, but it doesn't throw any exception at all

Here's the code

Public Sub reportthread(ByVal report As BarrReport)

Dim repdata As New reportdata

Dim rep As New Thread(New ThreadStart(AddressOf repdata.runthereport))

repdata.repname = report.source

repdata.paramarr = report.parametervalues

repdata.paramname = report.parameternames

repdata.repoutputname = report.output

rep.Name = report.output

Try

'this is where the new thread should be spawned

rep.Start()

Catch err As Exception

BarrMainMenu.statfrm.StatusTextBox.AppendText(err.ToString())

Finally

BarrMainMenu.statfrm.StatusTextBox.AppendText("Finished")

End Try

Thursday, March 23, 2006 11:57 PM
  •  

AngRudy...

Did you get this code from an example? Do you want this to run as an autonomous process?

Spawning... and a thread aren't the same thing....

Admitedly... I'm not an expert on reports,

Friday, March 24, 2006 12:22 AM
  • I read a book on how to do multithread, and use the technique for my appl. The code that you see is not taken directly from example, but it uses similar technique. All I want to do is for the program to thread/spawn a process whenever the user schedule a report to run, and not to wait for it. And like I said, the appl work fine if it runs on my machine, but not on the deployment machine. To me it doesn't make sense. I must be missing something on the deployment machine, but I don't know what.

Renee, I just want to let you know that I really appreciate you looking into this. Thank you.

Friday, March 24, 2006 5:17 PM
  • Absolutely nothing happens? Or an exception is thrown? It could be that your client machine hasn't Crystal reports (but that should throw an exception). Or it may be that some data is missing on the client machine. In any case there should be some sort of exception somewhere. What's supposed to happen?
    Friday, March 24, 2006 10:08 PM
  • Absolutely nothing happen. It doesn't throw any exception. What suppose to happen after I comment everything out is just to show message box.
    Friday, March 24, 2006 11:49 PM
  •  

Ang,

I think we need some very specific information.

Are both machines running on the same version of windows?

Do you have admin privileges on either or both?

The problem has to be something environmental since it runs on one machine.

Please list the filepath on both the development machine and the deployed machines...

Saturday, March 25, 2006 3:37 AM
  • Sorry, It took along time for me to reply. I've been sick.

Anyway, the dev machine is XP and target machine is 2003. I do have admin privileges on both machine. Path for both machine is the same. I had it installed on C:\program files\beemine\barr.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 7:49 PM