DLL - What`s that :D RRS feed

• Question

• Hey i`m not so good with dll`s in fact i know allmost nothing about them

The only thing i know about them that they are programs too and u pass information to them/..??? but i dont think that eather good

So My Questions Are:

1. What is a DLL??

2. How to use a DLL??

3. Makeing  a DLL (the language) ??

4. How to know what a DLL contains??

Thanks A lot Guys !!!

Thursday, December 29, 2005 1:19 AM

Answers

• Hi,

A DLL stands for a Dynamic Link Library. I will answer these questions from the perspective of .NET and Visual Studio.

1. In .NET, a DLL is a .NET assembly which gets generated when you compile a project of type class library.

2. A DLL can be used from another Executable by referencing it during compilation or by dynamically loading it at runtime using Assembly.Load method.

3. You can generate a DLL in all of the .NET languages - C#/VB.NET/J#...

4. In order to know what a DLL contains you can add a reference and then use the Object Browser within the Visual Studio IDE or use a 3rd party tool such as .NET Reflector.

Regards,

Vikram

Thursday, December 29, 2005 6:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

A DLL stands for a Dynamic Link Library. I will answer these questions from the perspective of .NET and Visual Studio.

1. In .NET, a DLL is a .NET assembly which gets generated when you compile a project of type class library.

2. A DLL can be used from another Executable by referencing it during compilation or by dynamically loading it at runtime using Assembly.Load method.

3. You can generate a DLL in all of the .NET languages - C#/VB.NET/J#...

4. In order to know what a DLL contains you can add a reference and then use the Object Browser within the Visual Studio IDE or use a 3rd party tool such as .NET Reflector.

Regards,

Vikram

Thursday, December 29, 2005 6:51 AM
  • Vikram can u give a simple example program that contains a dll reference??

Simple. Thanks!!

Thursday, December 29, 2005 8:09 PM
  • Hi,

I cannot post code sample here on the forums. So do you want me to mail it to you ? Did you go through the link which I provided: If not take a look ay the PDF below:

http://www.deitel.com/books/NET/AddingReferences.pdf

Regards,

Vikram

Friday, December 30, 2005 4:14 AM
  • Vikram sorry if i am a pain in the ***, but i am a really newbie

What  i dont understand is :

You can pass data to a dll?

ok u can mail me with the sample

but why do you say u can`t post on the forum/??? i dont think some will get mad

Friday, December 30, 2005 12:08 PM
  • Hi,

By Code sample, I meant an actual DLL and a EXE which can be used to explain the concepts to you. Can you post your email Id, so that I can mail you a sample.

Regards,

Vikram

Friday, December 30, 2005 4:45 PM
  • zapacila89@gmail.com

but please be a simple simple one coz` like i said i`m not so good

Friday, December 30, 2005 5:28 PM