Symmetric Key Management RRS feed

• Question

• I like to know first,  if Microsoft has a product that enables us to manage Asymmetrical and symmetrical encryption key management.

Second, if there's a known best practice for symmetrical and asymmetrical key management specifically around SharePoint 2007.

What I'm looking for is a "Microsoft" solution around managing keys that may reside within a web.config file in SharePoint.  At this point, I have not seen a Microsoft product or solution for symmetric key management, so if anyone is aware of this please be so kind as to point me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance,
    Aria

Friday, February 4, 2011 6:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Aria,

For the first question, there is a feature called Extensible Key Management (EKM) that let third-party EKM/HSM vendors to register their modules in SQL Server. For more information, please refer to Understanding Extensible Key Management.

For the second question, I would recommend you ask in the SharePoint forum where you may get quicker response.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Chunsong Feng

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 10:01 AM