Windows 8 display problems after December 7, 1011 update

Question

• I want to report  a display problem that occurred on my Windows 8 install after last night's Windows Update.

Problem: Windows 8 and IE 10 stopped displaying correctly. Specifically: Windows 8, Windows 8 apps and IE shells loaded with generally correct layout but some panel widths were inconsistent and no text displayed in Windows 8 apps or IE 10. (Speculations: it seems that this problem affects anywhere the HTML 5 engine was used.)

Start button: Icons loaded, text missing. Time display panel too wide.

Settings panel: all text missing. Icons displayed except for power icon.

Start Screen: layout was correct, all icons displayed, no text displayed.

Control Panel app: layout correct, no text.

IE 10 (desktop version): App shell loaded, no text displayed. All sites reported as trying to be loaded in Compatibility  View. Bing loaded, but in Compatibility View and did not display correctly.

Task Manager (Processes tab): did not appear to be affected.

A Windows 8 app that I am working on (Xaml, C#) failed to load past the start screen.

I have screen shots if you are interested.

System:  Windows 8 DP, 64-bit with Developer's Tools.

Fix: booted from Windows 8 DP installation USB drive, used System Restore to roll back changes from December 7, 2011 03:44 am updates.

I am not looking for an answer to this issue, I just wanted to report this problem. Please let me know if there is a better way to submit such reports in the future.

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 6:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• What update from Windows Developer Preview do you have installed from December 7th that is causing the issue?

The only update I show is a Windows Defender defintion update. KB2267602 Definition 1.117.545.0.

Please let us know the details.

Thanks,
    Marilyn
    Wednesday, December 07, 2011 7:38 PM
  • Only thing I could do was RESTORE back ... not everything is 100% now but close... at least I can surf the internet...

now....

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:50 PM