How to have layout pages update custom list RRS feed

• Question

• I've just learned how to create a publishing content type so I could then create a new page layout. In my test, I've created a Biography page layout that creates new pages where I can enter bios for people. This works very well.

What I'd like to do is have a custom list that keeps track of all the information for all the Biography pages I create, so that it would be easier to keep track of all info about all of the people. But it doesn't seem to be possible to share the info on a new Page with a List. Am I missing something here?

Monday, August 22, 2011 1:34 PM

Answers

• Programmatically it would be possible to store the info that your adding to the page to the list.

You could also create a custom list and store the user biography on a list, then create one custom page in SharePoint designer called 'bio.aspx', and using a Data View webpart configure it to filter on some unique field. This you could pass to the page via query string parameter. By setting the default value of that parameter to say 'x' will ensure that an unmatched query string parameters would show nothing. Using a Dataview webpart you can style that any way you'd like to achieve any look.

-tom daly
    • Marked as answer by mmandel Tuesday, August 23, 2011 11:27 AM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:49 AM

All replies

• Programmatically it would be possible to store the info that your adding to the page to the list.

You could also create a custom list and store the user biography on a list, then create one custom page in SharePoint designer called 'bio.aspx', and using a Data View webpart configure it to filter on some unique field. This you could pass to the page via query string parameter. By setting the default value of that parameter to say 'x' will ensure that an unmatched query string parameters would show nothing. Using a Dataview webpart you can style that any way you'd like to achieve any look.

-tom daly
    • Marked as answer by mmandel Tuesday, August 23, 2011 11:27 AM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:49 AM
  • Thanks, Tom!

I don't yet have access to the server side of things in my job here, so programmatically I'm limited to what I can do with OOTB Sharepoint (non enterprise MOSS version), Sharepoint Designer, and javascript,

I'll try your suggestion with the custom bio.aspx page. I hadn't thought of that approach.

I'm  still fairly new to Sharepoint and was excited to learn about creating my own page layouts, but since most of the work we're doing involves working with lists and the information contained therein, page layouts now in reality seem fairly limited. I guess I'm still getting my Sharepoint legs and groking what's what.

Thanks again.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 11:27 AM