Abbreviated name for macro added to menu bar is lost with Visual Studio 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I added a macro to the Visual Studio 2010 menu bar and abbreviated the name to BuildVIP. Sometime later, I restarted Visual Studio 2010 and now the menu bar shows the macro with the full name, Macros.Frank.mdlNT24kOther.BuildVIP.

How can I ensure that my changes are saved and restored for the next and subsequent runs of Visual Studio 2010?

I am using VS2010 SP1 with Windows XP SP3.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 8:49 PM

Answers

• It already is fixed, it just wasn't include in SP1 :[ There is no patch, or it would have been included in SP1 automatically. I don't know of there is a Connect bug active since the bug has been fixed internally, I would have to look when I get to work.

Ryan

• Marked as answer by Victor_Chen Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:28 AM
    Friday, April 8, 2011 2:20 PM

All replies

• There is a known bug whose fix did not go into SP1 whereby changes made to the same menu bar in subsequent sessions would cause changes made to the same menu bar in previous sessions to be forgotten at shutdown :(

The only know way to avoid it is to not make changes to the same menu bars across multiple sessions, which is not a great work around.

Ryan

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 9:37 PM
  • Where can I vote for this bug to be corrected?

Is there a patch available?

Friday, April 8, 2011 1:34 PM
  • It already is fixed, it just wasn't include in SP1 :[ There is no patch, or it would have been included in SP1 automatically. I don't know of there is a Connect bug active since the bug has been fixed internally, I would have to look when I get to work.

Ryan

• Marked as answer by Victor_Chen Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:28 AM
    Friday, April 8, 2011 2:20 PM
  • I do a lot of work with custom tool bars and this bug is really becoming a pain.

Since the bug is already fixed, how can I obtain the correction.

Regards,

Frank

Thursday, July 28, 2011 9:04 PM
  • It isn't available as a patch, it was fixed in the next version.  I think the only work around is what I mentioned above about not modifying the menu bar across multiple sessions.  You could try contacting customer support and seeing if they would make a 'one off' patch, but afaik they don't generally do that due to servicing problems.

Ryan

Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:51 PM
  • It has been a while and I still encounter this aggravating bug.

Do you know if there are any patches available?

Regards,

Frank

Friday, February 17, 2012 4:28 PM
  • No, Microsoft generally only releases one-off patches only for things that affect large numbers of users or are security issues. Unfortunately, this is not such a bug and since the fix was not included in SP1 (I don't know why not, I don't make those decisions) there is no available fix.

Ryan

Friday, February 17, 2012 4:33 PM