none
How to access full list of fields as a collection? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I'm writing a COM add-in for Project which maps an external data source to MS Project fields

I'd like to be able to offer the end user the choice on which field receives the incoming data

I thought there would be a function that would return the list of available fields (text1,text2 etc etc etc) but if so I've not been able to locate it

Thank you!

• Edited by DavB-UK Thursday, October 17, 2013 4:14 PM
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 4:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I don't think that exists.

Greetings,

Thursday, October 17, 2013 5:14 PM
  • Start here:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-nz/project-help/available-fields-HA010236930.aspx#top

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:46 PM
  • DavB-UK,

Project has tons of fields, many of which are either seldom used or only used in very specific situations. If I were to create a user interface such as you are creating, I would limit the fields available (e.g. userform or lookup list) to only those that are relevant to the particular data being imported. Presenting the whole list of fields for user selection is probably neither practical nor user friendly.

Just a thought.

John

• Edited by John - Project Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:38 PM better wording
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:38 PM
  • You may want to take a look at Business Connectivity Services (BCS).  From Visual Studio or from Sharepoint Designer, you can connect to your data source through BCS.  BCS has features to support the mapping of the fields from an external data source to Project Server fields.

• Edited by Edward Hanna Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:52 PM Drop Signature
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:52 PM
  • thanks, I actually have quite a good handle on getting the data in, it comes via a web based API which returns XML in response to http queries, it's just the accessing of internal Project fields I need to resolve
    Friday, October 18, 2013 8:32 AM
  • DavB-UK,

Project has tons of fields, many of which are either seldom used or only used in very specific situations. If I were to create a user interface such as you are creating, I would limit the fields available (e.g. userform or lookup list) to only those that are relevant to the particular data being imported. Presenting the whole list of fields for user selection is probably neither practical nor user friendly.

Just a thought.

John

Would lookup table allow me to filter for the kinds of fields they are likely to use? It feels from most of the responses like I'm basically going to have to manually create the list of fields as a subset in a config file and then read it in?

Friday, October 18, 2013 8:47 AM
  • DavB-UK,

I was thinking of a lookup table imbedded into the VB code itself. Unless the data set being brought into Project is wide open (i.e. could conceivably import to any Project field), I'm guessing this is a reasonably limited set of data that could/should be imported. A user message box or two could be used to discern which part of the lookup table of fields is applicable to a particular user. If the set is widely varied or extensive, they could possibly be set up with a userform.

John

Friday, October 18, 2013 4:02 PM