Worker role status continuously changing from stabilizing...stopping...ready RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a worker role and a web role. When I deploy I found that my worker role never goes in to ready state it always change it state from stabilizing...stopping...ready. But I am able to perform the task which is in worker role.

I have also enabled intellitrace, but when I try to get the intellitrace of worker role its throws an error

“IntelliTrace log request failed. Details: The IntelliTrace agent did not respond in a timely fashion”.

The most strange part is that when I deploy old packages (which is 1 month old and working at that time), it’s also showing the same worker role state. Is there is something wrong with the portal or my packages is corrupted.

Please help.

Thanks

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:48 AM

Answers

• It would be great if you can provide a little more info. For example, it would be helpful if you can confirm if you have implemented infinite loop in your Worker Role Run method as recommended here? If you haven't done so, it is a default behavior by Azure to restart your role and hence the issue that you are observing.

However, if you have implemented infinite loop in your Run method, check if any unhandled exception is being thrown from you application code. Since it will be resulting into termination of worker role process and then restart in turn as per Azure role life cycle. I can't comment on Intellitrace issue, however you can use Event log to see if any exceptions are logged. Also, an additional check to see if your application is experience any problem, is to check Abort Count in the Properties pane of the Management Portal as suggested here .

HTH

Sameer

If this answers your question, please Mark it as Answer. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful.

• Edited by Sameer Awate Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:04 PM Typo correction
    • Proposed as answer by Sameer Awate Wednesday, September 26, 2012 4:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dino He Tuesday, October 2, 2012 8:02 AM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 11:58 AM

All replies

• It would be great if you can provide a little more info. For example, it would be helpful if you can confirm if you have implemented infinite loop in your Worker Role Run method as recommended here? If you haven't done so, it is a default behavior by Azure to restart your role and hence the issue that you are observing.

However, if you have implemented infinite loop in your Run method, check if any unhandled exception is being thrown from you application code. Since it will be resulting into termination of worker role process and then restart in turn as per Azure role life cycle. I can't comment on Intellitrace issue, however you can use Event log to see if any exceptions are logged. Also, an additional check to see if your application is experience any problem, is to check Abort Count in the Properties pane of the Management Portal as suggested here .

HTH

Sameer

If this answers your question, please Mark it as Answer. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful.

• Edited by Sameer Awate Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:04 PM Typo correction
    • Proposed as answer by Sameer Awate Wednesday, September 26, 2012 4:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dino He Tuesday, October 2, 2012 8:02 AM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 11:58 AM
  • Such behaviour may indicate that Run method of your worker role exits (may be due to exception). Then Azure restarts your worker role. And so on.

Run method must not exit. See help for RoleEntryPoint.Run method.

Oleg Subachev

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 10:12 AM