none
question about RTF RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I don't know if this is the best forum for this question, but, no others seemed to be either. I want to know if RTF being generated from an application can have footnotes start at an arbitrary number, not just the number "1." We have a publishing system [unix-based] that we want to output RTF with. But, we have many books that have multiple chapters. The footnotes in each chapter resume sequentially from the previous chapter.

Here's the beginning of a footnote in RTF. The number after the "insrsid" appears to be the actual number of the footnote. In this example, it's the first footnote of a large job, so, presumably, it's the number "1." And, in fact, if I open this RTF in Word, it is indeed "1."

{\cs50\fs24\super\insrsid1465740\charrsid2519362 \chftn {\footnote

Thanks,

Peter

Friday, May 6, 2011 12:35 PM

Answers

• insrsid"

These rsid values are to do with revision tracking - and don't have anything to do with the footnote numbers AFAIK.

AFAIK the default is to number sequentially through the document, so I assume that the problem that you have is that you have a separate file per chapter. In that case, you should be able to specify a \ftnstartN control word in each file that starts the numbering for that file.

Peter Jamieson
    • Marked as answer by pb4072 Friday, May 6, 2011 4:36 PM
    Friday, May 6, 2011 4:31 PM

All replies

• insrsid"

These rsid values are to do with revision tracking - and don't have anything to do with the footnote numbers AFAIK.

AFAIK the default is to number sequentially through the document, so I assume that the problem that you have is that you have a separate file per chapter. In that case, you should be able to specify a \ftnstartN control word in each file that starts the numbering for that file.

Peter Jamieson
    • Marked as answer by pb4072 Friday, May 6, 2011 4:36 PM
    Friday, May 6, 2011 4:31 PM
  • Thanks a lot. Actually, I just found out that the RTF file I was looking at was not the raw RTF file from our publishing system. Someone had opened it in Word and then re-saved it. And, that changes the file considerably. So, now I've just received the raw RTF files. They do look simpler. Now, I see actual footnote numbers in there. But, the raw RTF does not have the \chftn tag before the footnote tag. From what I've read on the spec., you need the \chftn tag to make the footnotes automatically number.

Thanks again,

Peter

Friday, May 6, 2011 4:36 PM
  • you need the \chftn tag to make the footnotes automatically number.

Yes, you do.

Peter Jamieson
    Friday, May 6, 2011 5:00 PM