No topology MF_TOPOSTATUS_READY event raised on Windows 8 machine RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WPF application that includes a CLI/C++ component for playing videos via Media Foundation. The app has been quite stable for months. Recently we've started testing on Windows 8 Release Preview.

One installation on W8 64bit is not playing back video and it appears it's because the application is not receiving a MF_TOPOSTATUS_READY event. All other installations including other Windows 8 64 bit and 32 bit installations as well as Windows 7 installations are fine.

Everything else up until that point including adding segments to the sequencer source all appear to be fine. Our code relies on the MF_TOPOSTATUS_READY event to trigger the initial playback.

I've tried using mftrace from the Windows 7 SDK on the application but it just exits as soon as it starts with a CLR exception 80004005.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:10 PM

All replies

• An MFTrace would be really helpful here.  Are you running it from an elevated command prompt with the detoured.dll and mfdetours.dll files in the same directory?  There could be a lot of causes of MF_TOPOSTATUS_READY not getting sent out -- a faulty hardware decoder, a race condition, or anything else that prevents the MF pipeline from fully initializing.
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:42 PM
  • Thanks Matt,

I'd love to get MFTRACE but as soon as I start my application with it it crashes the application without logging anything. I have no idea how to start debugging that.

I do manage to get MF events through Event Viewer traces though so I have since discovered the cause of the above problem...

As far as the reason I get no MF_TOPOSTATUS_READY it occurs when there is no audio sink. I.e I load the topology and get all S_OK during that process but then later I get an async event MF_E_CANNOT_CREATE_SINK which is why the topology is not raising events (not loaded successfully). I have posted a question about that on Stack Overflow but yet to get a response:http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12948015/how-to-prevent-mf-e-cannot-create-sink

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:09 AM