Microsoft may halt development work on Silverlight plugin after next release! RRS feed

Answers

• Yes... unfortunately.

The most important question is : if SL is stopped what technology will replace it ?

WinRT is just an API to create Windows apps, and for the Web HTML even 5 is very far to offer what SL is offering.

But we must take care about rumors.

SL is still the basis for WP7 for example and I never read that MS will change the way WP7 apps are done.

As you said it : wait and see...

Saturday, November 12, 2011 8:50 AM

All replies

• Nobody from MS will answer such a question.

Most employees at MS do not know the answer...

Either you'll find a MS employee that will say "I don't know" and it will be true, or you'll find a MS employee that is knowing the answer and in this case he will answer you "Unfortunately I can't say anything"...

Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:25 PM
  • I guess we need to wait and see how it ends !

Friday, November 11, 2011 12:03 PM
  • Yes... unfortunately.

The most important question is : if SL is stopped what technology will replace it ?

WinRT is just an API to create Windows apps, and for the Web HTML even 5 is very far to offer what SL is offering.

But we must take care about rumors.

SL is still the basis for WP7 for example and I never read that MS will change the way WP7 apps are done.

As you said it : wait and see...

Saturday, November 12, 2011 8:50 AM
  • Re: The most important question is : if SL is stopped what technology will replace it ?

Indeed I agree with your statement. The big question is will it mean we'll have to reinvent the wheel or
    add or combine new elements to improve the technology. A name is mainly just a name. It's the whole logic behind
    that matters the most. 

WinRT is indeed mainly an API to create new Windows 8 Metro apps.  
    as for HTML 5 is still very far to offer what SL is offering,
    remember decisions have to go through a consortium process;)

As for being careful about rumours, I totally agree with you. It's pretty easy for everyone to make assumptions
    without knowing all the facts. I mean the assumption strategy has often been used in marketing, even in political campaigns Lol...;) 

So you're right odahan, meanwhile I guess the best thing to do for now is to wait and see ;)

Saturday, November 12, 2011 2:55 PM