none
How much does retention of files consumes in a Backup policy?

Question

• Hi guys, I'm trying to understand how backup Storage Works when I enable a retention policy. I mean, if I have a 500 GB vault, and want to have a retention of the full vault space, I'll have to contract a 1 TB Vault, or the retention space does not consume my vault Storage?

Regards,

Nivaldo

Nivaldo Soraggi Fernandes Support Manager TWTInfo

Friday, January 20, 2017 5:23 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Thank you for reverting back!

Azure Backup recovery vault doesn’t consume the space; It’s based on-demand data space.

There is no limit on the amount of data you can back up to a vault. Azure Backup restricts the maximum size for the data source, however, these limits are extremely large. As of August 2015, the maximum size for a data source for the supported operating systems is:

Regards,
    Sumanth BM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kindly click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. And Vote as Helpful.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 2:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft forums. We are pleased to answer your query.

Typical long-term retention point products store backup data as full points. The full points are storage inefficient but are easier and faster to restore. Incremental copies are storage efficient but require you to restore a chain of data, which impacts your recovery time. Azure Backup storage architecture gives you the best of both worlds by optimally storing data for fast restores and incurring low storage costs. This data storage approach ensures that your ingress and egress bandwidth is used efficiently. Both the amount of data storage and the time needed to recover the data, is kept to a minimum. Learn more on how incremental backups save are efficient.

The incremental copy is sent based on the time mentioned in the backup schedule page. The points that can be retained are determined based on the retention policy.

Both DPM and Windows Server/client have daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly retention policies.

1. Daily retention policy: Backups taken daily are stored for seven days.
    2. Weekly retention policy: Backups taken every day at midnight and 6PM Saturday are preserved for four weeks
    3. Monthly retention policy: Backups taken at midnight and 6pm on the last Saturday of each month are preserved for 12 months
    4. Yearly retention policy: Backups taken at midnight on the last Saturday of every March are preserved for 10 years.

The total number of “retention points” (points from which a customer can restore data) in the  Preceding diagram is computed as follows:

• two points per day for seven days = 14 recovery points
    • two points per week for four weeks = 8 recovery points
    • two points per month for 12 months = 24 recovery points
    • one point per year per 10 years = 10 recovery points

The total number of recovery points is 56.

Note

Azure backup doesn't have a restriction on number of recovery points.

The total number of “retention points” specified in this policy is 90 (daily points) + 40 (one each quarter for 10 years) = 130

Azure storage does not back up data, it uses a much more efficient replication model. There are several to choose from LRS ZRS GRS and RA-GRS. By default, it set to GRS which means there are 3 copies of your data in a local data center and 3 copies of your data in a remote region(s) in case of disaster available for download (6 copies of your data!).

Retention period and a max size of bulk that can be used on the Azure Back-up service: 850 GB volume size and 120 days’ retention.

For more information; Refer here

I hope that the reply will assist you in getting your query addressed. In case you require further assistance, please do reply to the thread as we are always available to your queries.

Regards,
    Sumanth BM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kindly click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. And Vote as Helpful.

Saturday, January 21, 2017 1:02 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Sumanth, but my main question still remains. Does retention data, consumes space on the size of the vault that I have allocated?

For example, if I buy 500 GB of data space, this 500 GB will be fully available for my files, or the retention of the files, consumes this space as well?

Regards,

Nivaldo

Nivaldo Soraggi Fernandes Support Manager TWTInfo

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 12:55 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for reverting back!

Azure Backup recovery vault doesn’t consume the space; It’s based on-demand data space.

There is no limit on the amount of data you can back up to a vault. Azure Backup restricts the maximum size for the data source, however, these limits are extremely large. As of August 2015, the maximum size for a data source for the supported operating systems is:

Regards,
    Sumanth BM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 2:16 PM