none
Resource Plans (by Resource) RRS feed

• Question

• Hola,

I have these two questions:

I know there is no out-of-the-box functionality to build resource plans by Resource, instead of by Project.  However, we have this spreadsheet that has exactly that format, with information of almost 1000 resources. Has any of you find yourself in the same situation and how did you approach it?

Any utility you are aware of? 

On the other end, we would like to have a report that presents all resource plans for a selected set of projects. Again, is there an alternative to custom dev or going to SSRS?

Thank you in advance.

OMER 

Oscarin
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 11:20 PM

All replies

• You'll have to tell us what you mean by a resource plan and what information you want to see. Also your version of project and what service pack level you are at.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:07 AM
  • Question 1 - Managers at many organizations that I know usually have data extracted from MS Project (or MS Project Server) to MS Excel and create pivot tables to analyze resource plan data as required.

Question 2 - I think you have two parts to your second question: 1) Should you use SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services) to extract data for reports? and, 2) How do you generate the resource view reports that you need for a selected set of projects and/or some other perspective?

I don't want want to voice an opinion whether you should or should not get a SSRS software license.  So, I will ask you a question.  Assuming you license SSRS and you require additional analysis on the report produced, how are you going to solve the problem? 

Before your organization pays for additional development, chances are you are going to see if you can create the report in Excel.  In this situation, many individuals that I know in large organizations use MS Excel for doing that additional analysis.  So, you are back to your first question...how might you approach the analysis?

My suggestion would be to see if MS Excel Pivot tables will solve your need.  Your immediate need(s) appear to be focused on reporting resource data by resource and/or resource manager.  If you have not already done so, try creating a resource focused pivot table and using conditional formatting to highlight the information of most interst to your leadership team.  This should provide you a good start.

If that does not provide you what you need, you may want look at either acquiring additional products, and/or having some custom development (e.g., VBA, etc.) performed either by your internal IT organization or an outside firm.

I hope this helps!

--Ira M. Hendon, MBA, PMP

Monday, January 9, 2012 7:56 PM
  • Hola Rod,

we have SP1 applied to PS2010. As for Project Professional, we have version: 14.0.6023.1000 32 bits.

By Resource Plan I mean a variation of the PS2010 capability to define the resources required by a project, without using actual assignments. PS2010 does this by project. We have that information on a spreadsheet where rows represent Resources and columns represent Projects.

Does this ckarify my questions?

Regards,

Oscar

Oscarin
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Thank you Ira.

Per your recommendation,  We'll try first Excel Pivot and see if we can get that report in place before committing to use SSRS, which I believe we already have.

Regards,

Oscar Estrada, MSc., PMP

Oscarin
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:20 PM