none
How to Dev Office Addin on Mac with VB.Net + VS Code? RRS feed

• Question

• hi

this article states:

• "You can write Office Add-ins in many languages."
    • "Can I create an Office Add-in with the generator and use VS Code regardless of the language or client-side framework? A: Yes, you can."
    • "VS Code is a great tool to help you develop your custom Office Add-ins regardless if they are for Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and run in the web clients, Windows clients, iOS clients or on OS X!"

However, instructions are given only for Javascript:

• "The Office generator will create a jsconfig.json file when it creates your project. This is the file that VS Code will use to infer all the JavaScript files"
    • "Find all References by simply right-clicking in any JavaScript file."
    • "debug the Add-in just like any other client-side JavaScript application."

What's the recipe for VB.Net?

Thx

• Edited by johny w Sunday, October 9, 2016 4:09 PM
    Sunday, October 9, 2016 4:06 PM

All replies

• Hello Johny,

Office Apps can be developed using JavaScript + HTML (CSS) only. VB.NET can be used for developing COM based add-ins (for example, VSTO). You need to use Visual Studio (VS Code doesn't support that). See Create VSTO Add-ins for Office by using Visual Studio for more information.  

[custom.development]

• Proposed as answer by Eugene Astafiev Tuesday, October 18, 2016 9:00 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by johny w Friday, November 18, 2016 10:55 PM
    Sunday, October 9, 2016 8:28 PM
  • Hi johny,

There are two parts in Office add-in, Add-in manifest and web page which is a set of JavaScript and HTML files. So, you can write Office add-ins in many languages.

In my option, you could develop Office add-ins in mac for JavaScript and HTML files are supported in mac. But for VB.NET, it is a specific product from Microsoft, if you develop Office add-ins with vb.net under windows system by VS, I think there is no problem. If it is in mac, I think it will be complex, and the recommended way is to use a VM whose system is windows.

For a discussion about developing VB.NET in mac, I suggest you refer the link below:

# VB.NET Application - Mac OS Compatibility

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/e198581b-032e-4a3b-8c32-b59204743fbb/vbnet-application-mac-os-compatibility?forum=vbgeneral

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, October 10, 2016 2:15 AM

• There are two parts in Office add-in, Add-in manifest and web page which is a set of JavaScript and HTML files. So, you can write Office add-ins in many languages.

How does that allow "many languages"?

JS and HTML files means running a web-server. We are not interested in running a web-server just to customize Excel. We are not making a web-based application. We just want to automate a LOCAL EXCEL WORKBOOK, without a webserver, and without external files. 

Note, the Office Javascript API is incomplete, and not an acceptable solution for a NOW production project in an Enterprise environment. 

Advising to use a VM is not answer to question "how to develop on Mac".

Your link is dated, because most of the posts are pre-Xamarin. I would welcome a Xamarin or Visual Studio/Mac solution. So far, i cannot find a recipe to make a Mac Office Addin on Xamarin or Visual Studio/Mac. 

thx for your suggestions, but none answer the OP. 

• Edited by johny w Saturday, November 19, 2016 12:34 AM
    Friday, November 18, 2016 10:13 PM

• Office Apps can be developed using JavaScript + HTML (CSS) only. VB.NET can be used for developing COM based add-ins (for example, VSTO). You need to use Visual Studio (VS Code doesn't support that). See Create VSTO Add-ins for Office by using Visual Studio for more information.  

this does not seem to answer the question "on Mac".

thx

Friday, November 18, 2016 10:56 PM
  • Hi johny,

Based on your description, it seems you want VSTO add-in instead of Office Add-in which is developed by html and js.

I found you have posted new threads for similar issue in VSTO forum, I suggest you keep following in the new threads.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 21, 2016 6:20 AM