cannot read configuration file RRS feed

• Question

• User-20727932 posted

I am having the same issue as I've seen elsewhere but can no longer comment or reply - must be too old a post.

This error happens only on my remote server running WIN2012, IIS 8.5 and on my brand new laptop, IIS 10.

I have been successful in running site on desktop WIN7, IIS 7.5 system only. Seems it comes down to the computer's configuration. I needed to manually install IIS and other stuff on the WIN7 machine since none of it was there.

I don't believe the web.config file is the issue, but something in the software installed is the problem.

Why can't this work cross platform? I am using the same folder paths. the "Test Settings" buttons may show errors, but sites other test sites still open (sites with an index file).

Root: C:\inetpub\production\folder-containing-published-visual-studio-code

There is also a virtual directory at: C:\inetpub\persistentWebContent\production\

I have not found an answer and it's been weeks. If someone else can help it would be appreciated.

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 6:28 PM

All replies

• User121216299 posted

Hi noodles57,

Did you get exact error,"Cannot read configuration file due to insufficient permissions"?

If yes then you may try to refer steps below may help you to solve the issue.

1. Open the IIS Manager.
    2. Select the Application pool for your site.
    3. Go to Advanced Settings.
    4. Set the Identity to Local System.
    5. Click on Ok.
    6. Restart the IIS.

In the link below you can find the alternative approach which can also help you to solve this issue.

So you can also try to refer it.

Application pool crashes: Cannot read configuration file due to insufficient permissions

Regards

Deepak

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 5:42 AM
  • User-20727932 posted

I'm not even there yet. I just uploaded a perfectly locally working database to server (took 13 hours) and it won't attach, stating the log file has an issue! (log file does not match the data file - which is untrue since it attaches locally!)

As I mentioned the cross platform problems just get worse.

If I can get the db attached, I can then look into your suggestion.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 4:33 PM
  • User-20727932 posted

I was able to trick the db to attach. So now I'm working on making sure the instance name is corr3ect because the browser shows and error suggesting this. At this point I'll never take an error message at face value, seems it's always something different and Microsoft is not willing to give an explicit description ever!

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 4:49 PM
  • User-20727932 posted

All I am seeing when I run the site is an error:

"The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred."

I'm still thinking it's an IIS issue, and I've been investigating via Plesk and also Remote Conenction and am trying to match the setting to what I have set up on my local computer where the site runs without any issue.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 6:37 PM
  • User121216299 posted

Hi noodles57,

Are you using plesk to host this site?

If yes then it can be possible that plesk needs to configure any options to make it work.

Because plesk is third party product we are not familiar with it.

Regards

Deepak 

Friday, June 29, 2018 8:53 AM