Using full Win32 API in specific Metro app

Question

• Hi!

Our company is working on app that interacts with USB RFID reader and I have C++/CLI library that uses Windows Smart Card API (PC/SC) to connect to RFID cards in the reader. Now we are looking forward on developing a Windows 8 Metro style app that will wrap all the work. But as far as I know there's no way to use standard Win32 API in Metro style app, and worse - I can't find a good way to use Windows RT libraries in WPF desktop apps (and I need to, we're going to work with web cam too, and using DirectShow is a catastrophically complex way compared with WinRT).

So, I have three questions.

1. Is it possible to make Metro style app that interacts with full-featured Win32 API (and PC/SC)? We understand the risks, we won't develop this app for ARM or even for Marketplace - it's an embedded solution.

2. If not, is it possible to make a desktop app that will look and feel like Metro styled app? I saw a guidance for Metro-styled desktop browser (such as new Google Chrome is), is there something like that for standard desktop XAML (WPF) apps?

3. And last, but not the least: how can I access WinRT namespaces and classes in Desktop WPF apps? I'm especially interested in C# apps here. And I really need Windows.Media.Capture namespace and classes!

Thank you!

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 11:21 AM

Answers

• 1. This is not a supported scenario. What API is missing that you are needing?

2. We do not have any VS project templates for desktop apps that use a Metro style UI if that was the question.

3. Each API will (should) list if it is available in Metro style apps, Desktop apps or both. For example, the Windows::Media::Capture::MediaCapture class is available in both Desktop and Metro style apps. Whereas the Windows::Media::Capture::CameraCaptureUI is only available in Metro style apps.

Contact me directly regarding your embedded solution for more specifics: DavidLam at Microsoft DOT COM.

Thanks!

David Lamb

• Marked as answer by Alovchin91 Thursday, July 26, 2012 6:47 AM
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:38 AM