none
HOMESHARE environment variable not compatible with FSLogix? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to setup a proof of concept with FSLogix profile containers on Windows 2016 Server/Citrix XenApp 7.15 LTSR.  When I use %Homeshare% environment variable as the path to the VHD file, I get a failure in the  logs:

Error 1064, Unable to find parent path of ""

This is not a permissions issue because I can hard code the path to the server hosting the home share and everything works properly.  What's interesting is that the Service logs show the proper path for homeshare so I don't know if that path is being picked up too late in the login process or some other issue.  We use %homeshare% as we have multiple file servers that host user's home drives.

It appears the exact same problem is described in this recent post, but the workaround provided will not work for us as the file server hosting the home drive can be different depending on the user:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/de0d3bb5-ac23-4795-ad34-98ee4899b97c/profile-container-error-1064-unable-to-find-parent-path-of-quotquot?forum=FSLogix

I'm assuming this is some sort of bug in FSLogix as we have no issues using GPOs for redirection to %homeshare% for things like IE favorites.  Will this issue be addressed in a future release?

Thanks

Josh

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 9:21 PM

All replies

• @jdbst56, The variables like HOMESHARE, HOMEDRIVE, etc. are set late enough in the logon process that they are not available to FSLogix when it is loading the profile disk so that Windows can logon. Microsoft has a work item to address this in a future release, but I don't believe there are any firm plans as to when.
    Wednesday, October 9, 2019 7:47 PM
  • ...I also ran into this problem in an environment where thousands of users are allocated to a server based on the starting letter of their firstname. This is set at user creation in Active Directory - Home drive - and in GPO's they just use %HOMESHARE% %HOMEDRIVE%. It took some explaining why it couldn't be used with FSLogix given it's now a Microsoft supported product. This needs to be fixed !

Werner

Friday, October 11, 2019 8:15 PM