Polyline 1000 points limit RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello there,

I have noticed that it's not possible to create a polyline with more than a thousand points in Silverlight 1.1.

Does anybody know if this limit can be changed? Should I use a bunch of Lines instead of a single Polyline for more points?

Sunday, February 10, 2008 10:14 AM

Answers

• I don't have a lot of good suggestions actually...in SL 1.0 I created a simple line chart and since there was no Child access to the Geometry (hopefully in 2.0 that will get better) I had to recreate the whole chart everytime which was onerous.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 7:37 PM

All replies

• if its an open structure, using multiple polylines seems like the right solution.  What are you doing that is using more than 1000 segments?

Sunday, February 10, 2008 1:49 PM
  •  I'm actually trying to develop a simple line charting app, ie, connect a series of points. The chart has to have zooming and panning capabilities.

I was wondering if Silverlight (and so WPF) would automatically optimize the rendering of the polyline according to the currently visible segments.

That means I would initially load all the points to the polyline and then use a ScaleTransform and TranslateTransform in order to display only a specific range of the data.

That would avoid having to modify the polyline's Points parameter everytime the user changes the desired data range.

That's why I realized the 1000 points limit, I was just experimenting with different quantities of points to see what impact it has on the Silverlight rendering.

Any idea if that's a good approach?

Sunday, February 10, 2008 5:36 PM
  • I don't have a lot of good suggestions actually...in SL 1.0 I created a simple line chart and since there was no Child access to the Geometry (hopefully in 2.0 that will get better) I had to recreate the whole chart everytime which was onerous.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 7:37 PM