WiFi does not connect to gateway

Question

• When I first installed the preview the WiFi worked just fine.  On each subsequent power up of my machine the WiFi has limited connectivity.  Fortunately when I right click on the WiFi there is a troubleshooter for the system.  On each occasion the result was the WiFi did not connect to the gateway properly and it fixed the problem.  Is there a setting I need to change that I have missed?  The WiFi card is a Ralink brand used in a Gateway all-in-one machine.
    CDW
    Friday, September 16, 2011 10:00 PM

Answers

• Hey CWORRELLSTER,

Try installing the latest driver available Gateway or Ralink by using the links below. You may find that they both offer the same version of the driver, but sometimes one source may provide a more updated version that the other.
    Gateway Support - Downloads & Support Documents
    Ralink corp. | Windows

If the installation of your driver doesn't solve the problem or if the driver is designed for a different version of Windows, an additional option is to use the compatibility troubleshooter:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section
    • Select Search
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver/drivers.

Steven
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:43 PM

All replies

• Hey CWORRELLSTER,

Try installing the latest driver available Gateway or Ralink by using the links below. You may find that they both offer the same version of the driver, but sometimes one source may provide a more updated version that the other.
    Gateway Support - Downloads & Support Documents
    Ralink corp. | Windows

If the installation of your driver doesn't solve the problem or if the driver is designed for a different version of Windows, an additional option is to use the compatibility troubleshooter:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section
    • Select Search
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver/drivers.

Steven
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:43 PM
  • Thanks so much! This was my exact issue my HP DM1Z laptop.  Now that I installed the newest HP Ralink driver I work after sleep.  Thanks!!

I'm a Mac person who is very impressed with Windows 8.  Thanks for the free previews, you will get a sale out of this when it is complete.

Thx

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:36 AM
  • Hey Irishfloyd,

I'm glad to have helped and thanks for the feedback!

Steven
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:53 AM