Getting two items to wrap automatically?

Question

• I really expect this to be simple.. but..

I'm writing the Windows 8.1 UI for a Universal app and I just want two items to be side-by-side when the width allows and then one above the other when restricted. The only way I've got this behaviour to work is using a GridView with WrapGrid, but then the items in my grid start acting like buttons, even if I have SelectionMode="None", they react to mouseovers and stuff.

I can't help but feel I'm over complicating this and there's a much easier way of doing this width wrap?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Thursday, February 05, 2015 3:20 PM

All replies

• I think you want a WrapGrid.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thursday, February 05, 2015 8:13 PM
  • There is a WrapPanel in the WinRT Xaml Toolkit that does what you want.

If you don't want to use a 3rd party control it's not hard to write a custom Panel to layout like this. You may be able to reduce the mouseover, etc. reactions with a WrapGrid in an ItemsControl instead of in a GridView, especially if you customize the ItemsControl's templates.

Thursday, February 05, 2015 9:16 PM
    Owner
  • Okay, cheers for the answers guys. Yeah, I had tried the WrapGrid as described, but ran into the problems described. I'll take a look at WrapPanel, thanks. To be honest, I can probably just code this particular instance myself, but I just wanted to know if there was a simple way of doing it that I'd missed. This stuff is pretty easy in HTML/CSS with Bootstrap, so I assumed there might be a control that would do it that I don't know about.

I guess what I want is a StackPanel that changes Orientation when the width is less than a certain amount. I might be able to bind that with a custom ValueConvertor.

Saturday, February 07, 2015 1:03 PM