Please recommend a data object model supporting a stored procedure and projection RRS feed

• Question

• User277213488 posted

I'm looking for design recommendations for a job board data model.
    Please add your suggestion if someone else has suggested a different approach.

Question: What is the current best-practice Visual Studio/.NET/SQL-enabled technology for data interaction?
    Why I ask: I've been out of the data programming realm for a few years, and technology has changed a lot.  I see a lot about EF, but LINQ is dead?

Question: How to serialize the list projection (summary fields only) for AJAX transmission?
    Why I ask: A minimal result set returned to the client, probably optimally just summary "candidate" fields, via AJAX.  I see [scriptmanager] and [webmethod] but don't understand how to provide a projection.

Question: How does this solution work with stored procedures - should the proc output exactly match the AJAX transmission?
    Why I ask: The search result must be returned from a stored procedure due to location radius queries and the size of the database.

Question: How can I "drill-down" for further details upon user demand in an object-oriented way?
    Why I ask: I can't load the GBs of resume data over the network from the SQL server to the Web server each query, but I must transmit ALL candidate details (only one resume format though) for a single candidate on user demand.

Question: Did I just end up with a highly-specialized data class, that isn't useful in other application areas, and now I need multiple "candidate" classes?
    Why I ask: Elsewhere in the app, other activities such as editing candidate profiles occur.

--- DB schema ---

• candidate
      • displayName
      • desiredPay
      • candidateFk
      • skillFk
      • yearsExperience
    • resume
      • candidateFk
      • htmlFormat
      • msWordFormat
      • plainTextFormat

Thank you,

Shannon

Saturday, April 17, 2010 3:56 AM

Answers

• User1789523204 posted

The simple and best approach is MSF Microsoft development Framework

Easy to maintain

Easy to upgrade

Easy to debug

Error Free

Write each line of code by your self , do not use drag and drop , write css and theme files once , so you can achieve consistency

in your website

Use store procedure , because store procedure is always safe from sql injection , no body can hack your website

Use BAL , DAL , and Interface to build your website

Like BAL for Object , DAL For Data access layer

If you face some problem writing this type of code i will help you .

Thanks

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, April 18, 2010 5:51 AM

All replies

• User1789523204 posted

The simple and best approach is MSF Microsoft development Framework

Easy to maintain

Easy to upgrade

Easy to debug

Error Free

Write each line of code by your self , do not use drag and drop , write css and theme files once , so you can achieve consistency

in your website

Use store procedure , because store procedure is always safe from sql injection , no body can hack your website

Use BAL , DAL , and Interface to build your website

Like BAL for Object , DAL For Data access layer

If you face some problem writing this type of code i will help you .

Thanks

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, April 18, 2010 5:51 AM
  • User277213488 posted

Thank you.  I re-read my question and I see it isn't really clear and it is hard to answer.  Your approach makes sense to me, it is the way I've always done it in the past.  I marked your answer.

However, what I most want to know is how to lay out a DAL class to support a two-pass data retrieval, and in an object-oriented way transition from the first to the second pass.

1. The first for search results, just summary/headers
    2. Then the second for an item detail, including a large blob to render

Also, doesn't Entity Framework have a good ability to be flexibly configured and customized without maintaining the ORM-binding, so it is an alternative today to writing my own DAL from scratch?  I haven't used it yet.

Thanks,

Shannon

Sunday, April 18, 2010 3:41 PM