none
VS 2015 locks up on startup

Question

• I'm new to VS. Just installed VS Community 2015. I only selected C++ and the latest Windows 10 SDK.

When I start VS 2015 it locks up and I have to kill it using Task Manager.

Will you please help with this?

Thursday, November 3, 2016 8:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Qsonomy,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Have you meet any installation error or warning message during the installation of VS community 2015?

There are some factors that can blocked the startup of VS 2015, please have a try with the following to troubleshot this issue:

1. Run VS with safe mode: devenv /safemode, if the VS can start up under safe mode, which means the installed extensions that blocked the startup, please go to Tools—Extensions and Updates… and remove the installed extensions one by one to find the culprit.
    2. Go to Control Panel—Programs and Features and right click the VS community 2015 and Change-Repair.
    3. Run the VS 2015 launch as administrator, it can help us to excludes the possibility of the permission issue.

If this issue persists, please run the command: devenv /log in the evaluated command prompt if you can, then upload the activity file (%APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Version\ActivityLog.xml) to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 4, 2016 5:40 AM