TFS upgrade problem - TFS2010 - to 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• While following the ALM Rangers TFS Upgrade guide, http://vsarupgradeguide.codeplex.com/downloads/get/382526,  (and essentially the MS upgrade guide), I am having a problem with a Migration Based Upgrade.  I do not wish to attempt an in-place upgrade... that idea doesn't sit well (...you must first uninstall TFS2010...), but instead perform the migration to new hardware, which should leave both services stadning; the old TFS2010 and the new TFS2012.

After making full Db backups of all TFS2010 databases and then restoring them to a new Sql Server location as noted in the guide, I am attempting to "attach team project collection" by pointing to the new Sql Server instance, but receive the following:

TF254078: No attachable databases were found on the following instance of Sql Server...

I am a SysAdmin for the Sql Server.  I have tried restoring the 2010 databases via SSMS and TFSRestore.exe... same results (TF254078 error).

Please advise.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 10:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post!

I suggest you run the following command and see if it helps:

TFSConfig Collection /detach /collectionName:CollectionName /collectionDB:ServerName;DatabaseName
             ->TFSConfig Collection /detach /collectionName:DefaultCollection /collectionDB:WS1;TFS_DefaultCOllection
     Then run the command
           TFSConfig Collection /attach /collectionName:CollectionName /collectionDB:ServerName;DatabaseName
             ->TFSConfig Collection /attach /collectionName:DefaultCollection /collectionDB:WS1;TFS_DefaultCOllection

Then go to the TFS Admin Console and check the state of the Project collection for which you ran the above    command.

For more information, please refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/ee349263.aspx

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, June 28, 2013 7:38 AM
  • When executing the following (with my values): TFSConfig Collection /detach /collectionName:DefaultCollection /collectionDB:WS1;TFS_DefaultCOllection,

I get the following error:

Option /detach cannot be combined with option /collectionDB

Friday, June 28, 2013 9:14 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your feedback!

/CollectionDB option is Required if /attach is used, not used for /detach. I am sorry for my mistake. 

Use /detach option, you can perform the following command line:

TFSConfig Collection /detach /collectionName:DefaultCollection

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, July 1, 2013 7:11 AM
  • No luck; same error.  What would you suggest we do, to be successful at a migration upgrade?
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 2:29 PM