none
Word 2010 removes custom xml at save of .doc RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

according to all documentation on the custom xml support I've found, the feature should still work for all .doc documents. But even though I set the document compatibility to word2003 only (no warnings are displayed for the document, warnings are only displayed if I set the compatibility to word 2007 which I understand) , all custom xml tags are removed when the document is saved (as type .doc).

There is a similar forum entry at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-MY/worddev/thread/663ce731-74b1-4216-9b0c-a8b876054106 but without any reply on if this is/should be supported.

Best Regards

Anders

Thursday, May 12, 2011 10:09 AM

Answers

• 1. I suspect I shouldn't have assumed "peer-to-peer" because if you're posting as an MSDN subscriber there may be a different expectation concerning a useable reply. Not sure how that works.

2. I've read both of those articles and they both seem to me to be, at best, ambiguous. AFAICS both were originally written before Word 2010 was released, and although the KB article may have been updated to mention 2010, it does not seem to me to have been completely reworked to reflect the reality that you are experiencing.

Peter Jamieson
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:00 PM

All replies

• In my view you really need to contact Microsoft directly if you want a reliable answer to this question - in these peer-to-peer groups, people may be able to confirm what actually happens when you save as .doc format, but in order to know what "should" happen they really either have to be the software author (i.e. Microsoft) or to have had a reliable answer from Microsoft. I do not think that I would want to rely on a "third party answer" for something like this.

The one thing I do notice is a statement in the referenced KB article:

"be aware that support for custom XML markup is no longer available"

I know how I would probably interpret that statement. But if I had a large commitment to using this technology (which I do not) I would seek clarification from Microsoft. Whether they are willing to provide it, I do not know.

Peter Jamieson
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 10:49 AM
  • Hello,

I am not sure if this is the case, but from what i know, .doc does not have customXML support. You can try using  WinRar for example to open a .docx file and you will find a structure similar to a Jar file.

Doc I think does not support XML in it.

Best regards,

Silviu.

http://www.rosoftlab.net/
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 12:05 PM
  • Hi,

Custom Xml is supported in .doc documents. We can create custom xml and save as .doc in older versions of word (2003 & 2007). We can also transfer these custom xml structures to another document opened in word 2010 to manipulate further. The only problem is when the document is saved (even auto-recovery of a document maintains the custom xml content) which leads to removing all custom xml tags.

Regards

Anders   

Thursday, May 12, 2011 12:20 PM
  • Hi,

this are the only official statement that I've found so far.

The first doesn't mention .doc documents or any behavior at save:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2445060

but this one points out that the behavior in .doc will not be affected:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/gray_knowlton/archive/2009/12/23/what-is-custom-xml-and-the-impact-of-the-i4i-judgment-on-word.aspx

"Custom XML markup stored within .DOC files will not be affected by these changes.  Word 2003 and existing installations of Word 2007 will not be affected by this change. "

Best Regards

Anders

Thursday, May 12, 2011 12:26 PM
  • 1. I suspect I shouldn't have assumed "peer-to-peer" because if you're posting as an MSDN subscriber there may be a different expectation concerning a useable reply. Not sure how that works.

2. I've read both of those articles and they both seem to me to be, at best, ambiguous. AFAICS both were originally written before Word 2010 was released, and although the KB article may have been updated to mention 2010, it does not seem to me to have been completely reworked to reflect the reality that you are experiencing.

Peter Jamieson
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:00 PM