none
Is Anti-Virus needed on WES7 system? RRS feed

• Question

• I have created an Embedded Standard 7 image and am currently using it for our client's systems. I did not enable Windows Defender on the systems and am unsure of whether I need to have anti-virus software on there.

There is no use of the internet for the end user, but we do have it connected to the network and can access the systems using remote desktop software (Teamviewer).

I would prefer to not have to have anti-virus program installed on these systems as there is no need to go from our application to the backend of the system.

Do I need it? And if not is there a way to explain it to the end user that it is not needed.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 5:49 PM

All replies

• If you have either FBWF or EWF enabled, the answer is no. If a virus or other program got into the system, all one would have to do is reboot and everything in RAM is lost.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 8:01 PM
  • So does this affect any program that is installed after image has been loaded on the system? I have a couple of programs I install after the fact. I am still sort of new to the whole image creation process and am looking to create a very clean image where additional install items are kept to a minimum.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 1:04 PM
  • FBWF and EWF should be disabled until you clone the system. With FBWF amd EWF turned off, you can install apps and configure the OS.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:00 PM
  • If you have either FBWF or EWF enabled, the answer is no. If a virus or other program got into the system, all one would have to do is reboot and everything in RAM is lost.

-Sean

We are considering these devices, I am curious - why should we believe it would be safe to have a virus infected machine on our network (until a reboot or shutdown)?  As a virus does not always let you know its running I don't see how someone would know their device has been compromised by a virus and thus they need a reboot to clear the device of the virus.

And what device audit information is available after a virus infection has occured? We would normally use audit information help us determin how the virus was recieved and if the virus managed to spread beyond the device (ie an infected Wyse terminal running WES7)?

Apple also thought their MAC's were imune to the threat of virus infections, Wyse with WES7 seems to also share this dangerous assumption.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 3:19 AM
  • It depends on the system. Other OEM clients I have worked with limit communications with the device, don't allow network access at all, or use other means to lock the system down. Thin Clients boarder on PCs and you have take special care since they are a open systems.

You can always add a virus scan solution to device. The problem is keeping the virus software up to date when a write filter is in place, but this can be problematic depending on the virus software used. Some virus software will not work with an embedded version or impact the system performance. FBWF can open holes so the updates can be installed. The problem with thin clients is that there is a lack of space. There were domain solution for embedded system that had the virus definition files on a servers, and a small client would run on a the embedded system, or in your case, the Thin Client. I think Norton had something. I would look to implement that solution.

The real question is - how did a virus get into a locked down embedded system?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 5:07 AM