none
How to change Connection in EDMX designer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys

I have a few db connection strings in my web.config that all point to the same database with the same credentials.  I'd like to delete the unnecessary entries and update a few EDMX files to point to the remaining connection string in my web.config, but this option appears greyed out in the designer.

Any idea how I can do this?

Tks

Steven

Friday, September 13, 2013 12:40 PM

Answers

• Hello,

If I understand correctly, you want to change the entity connection at runtime.

If I have misunderstood, please let me know.

In my opinion, we can try it like below:

1.Define a copy of the myOBJEntities in the connectionstring table and define it like this:

<add name="myOBJEntitiesTempl" connectionString="metadata=res://*/myOBJ.csdl|res://*/myOBJ.ssdl|res://*/myOBJ.msl;provider=System.Data.SqlClient;provider connection string=&quot;{0}&quot;" providerName="System.Data.EntityClient" /> 

2. Then in the code get this from ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings and do a string.Format on it with the connection string to in database. Like this:

string conn = string.Format(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["myOBJEntitiesTempl"].ConnectionString, databaseConnection);

using(myOBJEntities context = new myOBJEntities(conn))

{

//.... 

}

There is also possible for us to modify the ((EntityConnection)context.Connection).StoreConnection.ConnectionString, but remember, you have to do this as soon as your context is created.

using(myOBJEntities context = new myOBJEntities(conn))

{

((EntityConnection)context.Connection).StoreConnection.ConnectionString = databaseConnection;

}

On the question where we should store it, we could add additional connectionstrings to the connectionStrings section of the file and databaseConnection in the examples above from there.

Thanks&Regards.

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, September 16, 2013 2:41 AM