Restricting Assigned To by group, what does [Global] mean? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm editing a template to among other things, restrict who appears in the Assigned To dropdowns to a set group of users. I'm trying to use "[Global]\Assigned To Targets" as that group in the process editor.

I created that group in the TFS server admin console as a server wide group. When I do that, trying to create a project fails with the error: TF26204: The account you entered is not recognized. Contact your Team Foundation Server administrator to add your account.

Now, if I create another group with the same name inside a project collection (and then add the server group to it), suddenly everything works fine.

So my question here is that in this case, why does [Global] really only refer to the project collection, and is there another token that can reference the [Team Foundation] level groups?

Thanks.

Friday, July 30, 2010 4:45 PM

Answers

• Hi LordTridus,

You can restrict a group apears in the Assigned To dropdowns by defining ALLOWEDVALUES rule for the Assigned To field.

For example:

<FIELD refname="System.AssignedTo" name="Assigned To" type="String">

ALLOWEDVALUES>

LISTITEM value="[global]\group"/>

ALLOWEDVALUES>

FIELD>

Use [project] for project-scoped TFS groups ([project]\Contributors), [global] for global TFS groups ([global]\Team Foundation Administrators). For regular groups use domain name (domain\group).

Hope it helps!

If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong

</

</

<

<

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 4:09 AM

All replies

• Hi LordTridus,

You can restrict a group apears in the Assigned To dropdowns by defining ALLOWEDVALUES rule for the Assigned To field.

For example:

<FIELD refname="System.AssignedTo" name="Assigned To" type="String">

ALLOWEDVALUES>

LISTITEM value="[global]\group"/>

ALLOWEDVALUES>

FIELD>

Use [project] for project-scoped TFS groups ([project]\Contributors), [global] for global TFS groups ([global]\Team Foundation Administrators). For regular groups use domain name (domain\group).

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong

</

</

<

<

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 4:09 AM
  • Hi Cathy

I wish to restrict the users list in the "assinged to" to only team members in my given team project. My team members are grouped under [Project]\Contributors. e.g [ Test Project ] \Contirbutors. Kindly explain how to go about.

Only the [Global] accounts are visible and allowed to get saved for allowed values. I am unable to pick the Allowed values [project]\Contributors group.  I also tried to edit the Allowed values using Power tool by replacing [global] with [Test Project]. The following error msg is shown

TF26204: The account you entered is not recognized. Contact your Team Foundation Server administrator to add your account

Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:45 AM
  • Hi Sasyrega,

you can replace [global] with [project].

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong

Thursday, August 26, 2010 9:24 AM
  • Cathy The problem is that , when i edit / change the "global" to "Project" and try to import / save using power tool , i get the error message: TF26204: The account you entered is not recognized. Contact your Team Foundation Server administrator to add your account Please help me to guide to resolve the same
    Monday, August 30, 2010 5:07 AM
  • Hi Sasyrega K,

Please refer to the following links which are about TF26204:

http://govorin.blogspot.com/2008/12/tf26204-error-when-importing-workitems.html

http://geekswithblogs.net/claraoscura/archive/2007/01/19/103973.aspx

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong

• Proposed as answer by Sasyrega K Monday, August 30, 2010 8:29 AM
    Monday, August 30, 2010 5:44 AM
  • Cathy The problem is that , when i edit / change the "global" to "Project" and try to import / save using power tool , i get the error message: TF26204: The account you entered is not recognized. Contact your Team Foundation Server administrator to add your account Please help me to guide to resolve the same

Have you tried setting a rule? In the process template editor power tool, if you double click on an assigned to field for a given work item type (lets say "bug"), one of the rules is "Valid User".

If you go into that rule, the drop down for me has the built in project groups already listed there. So I can just pick "[Project]\Contributors" and be done with it. Does your process template not define those groups? (If it doesn't you won't be able to use them since they won't exist on the project. You can check under Build > Permissions in the Power Tool.

• Edited by LordTridus Monday, August 30, 2010 5:12 PM adding more information
    Monday, August 30, 2010 5:08 PM
  • Hi LordTridus,

For example:

<FIELD refname = " System.AssignedTo " name = " Assigned To " type = " String " >

ALLOWEDVALUES >

LISTITEM value = " [global]\group " />

ALLOWEDVALUES >

FIELD >

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong

</

</

<

<

Hi Cathy. What confused me about this is that in TFS 2010 "[Global]" doesn't really mean "global". It means "Project Collection". You can create a group on the project collection and point it at that, and then it works. But you can't use a TFS server group.

Once I understood that, it worked fine. :)

Monday, August 30, 2010 5:10 PM