"Value cannot be null" error when trying to edit or create Maintenance Plan in SQL Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I have SQL Server 2008 installed on Windows Server 2008 64bit, every time I try to open or create a new Maintenance Plan I receive the error:

Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: component (System.Design)

------------------------------
    Program Location:

at System.ComponentModel.Design.DesignerHost.System.ComponentModel.Design.IDesignerHost.GetDesigner(IComponent component)
       at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.VsIntegration.DtsDesignerService.OpenDesigner(String connectionString, Object connection, String objectUrn)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.DatabaseMaintenance.MaintDesignerMenuHandler.Invoke()

And in the Design view screen

"Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio is unable to load this document: Could not load type 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.runtime.Wrapper.IDTSPackageSigning100' from assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.DTSRunTimeWrap, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral'. 

I have searched for a possible solution and have tried some suggestions of registering the msxml6.dll but and have installed VS2008 SP1 but I'm not in a position where I can do a full reinstall of SQL Server right now. Any help is appreciated. My SQL server environment information is below. 

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 10.0.1600.22 ((SQL_PreRelease).080709-1414 )
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 2007.0100.1600.022 ((SQL_PreRelease).080709-1414 )
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 6.0.6002.18005 (lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0 
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18943
    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50727.4206
    Operating System 6.0.6002

Monday, September 27, 2010 9:23 PM

Answers

• Try registering the DTS.dll located at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn. It had helped me on 64 bit system

Pradeep Adiga
    My blog: http://www.sqldbadiaries.com

Recent posts on my blog
    • Proposed as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Friday, October 1, 2010 8:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Thursday, October 7, 2010 3:37 AM
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 5:22 AM

All replies

• Try registering the DTS.dll located at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn. It had helped me on 64 bit system

Pradeep Adiga
    My blog: http://www.sqldbadiaries.com

Recent posts on my blog
    • Proposed as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Friday, October 1, 2010 8:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Thursday, October 7, 2010 3:37 AM
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 5:22 AM
  • I get the same error on 64 bit system and tried registering DTS.dll with no success. It registers fine, but when going to a maintenance plan it dispays the same error.
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:42 PM
  • I can confirm that "registering the DTS.dll" not helping with this error. We have Windows Server 2008 R2, and have installed SQL Server 2008 SP1.

It worked before, but then it just stopped working. It might be caused by the fact that I installed several applications using Web Platform Installer, including SQL Server 2008 R2 Express. But I cant be sure in this.

Any help with resolving this issue will be much appreciated as I'm not able to edit maintenance plans and schedule our database backups.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 4:55 AM
  • SQL 2008 R2 Express seems to be what caused this error for me.  I've uninstalled/reinstalled everything but it still does not work.
    • Marked as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Friday, October 15, 2010 2:31 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Friday, October 15, 2010 2:31 AM
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 2:54 PM
  • Anybody has any idea????

I can connect and view maintenance plan from a remote machine, so it seems to be a problem with Server Studio.

• Marked as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Friday, October 15, 2010 2:31 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Friday, October 15, 2010 2:31 AM
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 5:23 PM
  • Hi koszalek,

Thanks for your post.

I would like to recommend that you ask it in a new thread and you will get quicker support.

Regards,
    Tom Li
    Friday, October 15, 2010 2:30 AM
  • Hi koszalek,

Thanks for your post.

I would like to recommend that you ask it in a new thread and you will get quicker support.

Regards,
    Tom Li

My second post in this thread here was intended to add information about the same issue reported by OP which I am experiencing as well.
    Friday, October 15, 2010 5:16 PM
  • I digged a little deeper and figured out it was a missing directory/file in %TEMP%. Seems some CleaningTool removes all files/directories in %Temp% and after that SSMS was not working any longer. The missing file is actually not needed, but the missing directory causes the "Value cannot be null" error.

My missing file name was:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\2\6vvdaozf.tmp
    But the file name changes on every startup.
    So my missing directory name was:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\2
    After creating a empty directory with the name "2" in %TEMP% all went back to work fine for me.

I'm not sure the directory name is every time the same, but you can discover your missing file with the process monitor from Sysinternal Tools and filters to "Process Name is ssms.exe" and "Path contains AppData\Local\Temp"

Hope this helps other people to solve their issues too.
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 10:46 AM
  • I digged a little deeper and figured out it was a missing directory/file in %TEMP%. Seems some CleaningTool removes all files/directories in %Temp% and after that SSMS was not working any longer. The missing file is actually not needed, but the missing directory causes the "Value cannot be null" error.

My missing file name was:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\2\6vvdaozf.tmp
    But the file name changes on every startup.
    So my missing directory name was:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\2
    After creating a empty directory with the name "2" in %TEMP% all went back to work fine for me.

I'm not sure the directory name is every time the same, but you can discover your missing file with the process monitor from Sysinternal Tools and filters to "Process Name is ssms.exe" and "Path contains AppData\Local\Temp"

Hope this helps other people to solve their issues too.

Thank you!! When I run %temp% it takes me to "C:\Users\Admin ...~\AppData\Local\Temp\some random number". At first the random number was 3, after I logged off and back on it was 2. My temp variable in enviromental variables is correct. I looked on another machine running SQL2008 and temp is correct there. If I try to rename the numbered folder SSMS stops working. Any idea?
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 3:50 PM
  • Install updated client tools or

Edit Maintenance plan in lastest version of SSMS using your local .. that should resolve...

• Edited by SequelMate Monday, October 20, 2014 1:54 PM
    Monday, October 20, 2014 1:53 PM