best size and resolution for using work in webdesign RRS feed

• Question

• when I save my work for use in webpages what is the best size and resolution?
    greetings
    Friday, February 22, 2008 3:14 PM

Answers

• It was my understanding that the browsers could only render 72ppi. The better quality would not be seen, so there was not point going higher. I found this blog on the subject, it has some good information: http://weblog.delacour.net/archives/000818.html

It looks like the standard has been raised to 96ppi but you generally will not see a quality difference.

I grabbed this quote out of the replies:

"Try embedding your images with the width specified in points, ems or x-heights. You may see differences between browsers here too. I don't know which ones get it right and which get it wrong, but specifying both type and images in points lets you do a uniform-sized layout."

Looks like if you change the CSS/HTML attribute for the image size from px to em you might see some something. I need to experiment with this. THis makes me a little uncomfortable when building web templates because you lose some control. On the other had this may solve some of the issues I am having with accessibility resizing.

Good stuff!

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. Confucius
    Friday, February 22, 2008 7:56 PM
  • I would save to 72ppi. 96 would probably be ok but I think 72 is standard.

Welcome to our new forum!
    Annie
    Friday, February 22, 2008 3:56 PM

All replies

• I would save to 72ppi. 96 would probably be ok but I think 72 is standard.

Welcome to our new forum!
    Annie
    Friday, February 22, 2008 3:56 PM
  • It was my understanding that the browsers could only render 72ppi. The better quality would not be seen, so there was not point going higher. I found this blog on the subject, it has some good information: http://weblog.delacour.net/archives/000818.html

It looks like the standard has been raised to 96ppi but you generally will not see a quality difference.

I grabbed this quote out of the replies:

"Try embedding your images with the width specified in points, ems or x-heights. You may see differences between browsers here too. I don't know which ones get it right and which get it wrong, but specifying both type and images in points lets you do a uniform-sized layout."

Looks like if you change the CSS/HTML attribute for the image size from px to em you might see some something. I need to experiment with this. THis makes me a little uncomfortable when building web templates because you lose some control. On the other had this may solve some of the issues I am having with accessibility resizing.

Good stuff!

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. Confucius
    Friday, February 22, 2008 7:56 PM
  • Thanks for passing along this information.

In previous versions of Design there was no noticable difference between points and pixels but now there is. I don't doubt that it will take some experimentation. I hope you'll keep us updated on your progress. I find this to be an interesting topic.
    Annie
    Friday, February 22, 2008 8:18 PM
  • Mike , Annie
    thank you for the help
    I print it out so I can read it and keep it
    greetings
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 2:06 PM