Developing, signing and publishing LOB app via sideloading

Question

• ok I think I listed almost all the points in the Title

We built a windows store app that uses WNS notifications

It is developed in C# in Visual Studio. The app is assigned to a Windows Store app.

We are now looking into deployment and we want to deploy via sideloading key. Purchased the sideloading key and all is good and working as long as we use a test certificate.

Problem is now we want to use a code signing certificate from a trusted authority and then I am running into a problem.

The applications Publisher ID field is dictated by the Microsoft Developer account and looks like this

CN=guidvalue_fordevaccount

Our code signing certificate from godaddy of course has a publisher id field like this

CN=company name, ...

problem is I cant use this cert as vstudio tells me the publisher id field has to match the developer account

does anyone have an idea of what I am doing wrong or what I need to do/get to get this working ?

thanks

Mike

Monday, March 09, 2015 2:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

According to the reference, you might have not signed in your developer account in visual studio. The value of publisher string doesn’t associated with your developer account. You can right click on manifest file and chose view code option, change publisher element as requirement. You can also see Contents of the package manifest in the following reference, https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh924767.aspx.

Please feel free to let me know if I have any misunderstanding.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 5:31 AM
  • We are signed into the developer account.

The publisher string is brought in from the developer account as soon as the app is associated with the store application. If you try to modify the value of the publisher id field in Visual Studio the build fails with an error telling you that the publisher id field has to be the same.

When creating an app package it automatically changes the publisher id field back to the developer publisher id.

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 12:48 PM
  • Hi Mike,

You’ve not mentioned how you import the GoDaddy certificates to your project, please try the steps to choose the certificate. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/br230260(v=vs.85).aspx.

I found someone has the similar question and gave some useful suggestions on SO, you can refer to see it in detail. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14996305/code-signing-windows-store-apps-for-sideloading-with-a-godaddy-certificate.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 6:33 AM
  • I have tried using the cert in the packaging screen just like in the link you added which I had found also before.

I think the additional issue is that our app uses WNS notifications

I was also in contact with MS support via email and they finally gave up and told me that windows 10 will be easier to deploy.

We had planned to switch our app development back to windows from ios but I think we may need to stay with ios

Saturday, March 14, 2015 11:20 AM