Rename a server with TFS 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we have a single server installation with TFS 2012 update1 - so we have SQL, SharePoint and TFS on just 1 server (2008 R2). What are the steps we have to follow, when we need to change the server name? The server is in ActiveDirectory, not standalone.

I haven't found any help directly for this procedure.

Thanks, regards Martin

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 2:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Martin,

Thanks for your post.

There’s a lot of dependencies on a server name, it’s not easy to do. We suggest you follow the steps in this document to move TFS Server from one hardware to another to achieve that. You can refer to the discussions in this post or the information MS provided in this connect.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, April 3, 2014 5:49 AM
  • Hi Martin, 

Thanks for your reply.

First, we suggest you upgrade your initial TFS 2012 Update 1 to TFS 2012 Update 4, then move it.

Yes, as far as I know Windows Server 2012 R2 support TFS 2012 Server now.

Yes, I think you can use SQL Server 2012 attach the databases which backup from SQL Server 2008 R2.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, April 7, 2014 2:09 AM
  • Hi Martin, 

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, SharePoint Foundation 2010 cannot install on Windows Server 2012 or Windows 8, please refer to the information in this document: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288751(v=office.14).aspx.

Yes, as far as I know we can upgrade from TFS 2012 update 1(RTM) to TFS 2012 Update 4 directly. 

If you want to use SharePoint Foundation 2010 with your TFS 2012 Server, we suggest you install your TFS 2012 Server on Windows Server 2008 R2. 

Monday, April 7, 2014 9:34 AM
  • Hi John, you have marked some fo your replies as answer, but it is not correct. Yesterday, I finalized the procedure and since today morning we have been running on a new TFS server.

I created a new Windows server 2012 R2 instead of renaming the old one(I tried it but I was not able to fix all the thinks, so it was not working fine). Then I installed SQL 2012 SP1 and TFS 2012 update4. The problem with installing SharePoint 2010 during TFS installation I have solved by installing Sharepoint 2010 SP2 (which is compatibble with Windfows Server 2012 R2) manually.

I din't want to upgrade the original TFS server (2012 update1) (just to avoid problems), so I backed up it via TFSbackup.exe and directly restore it via TFSRestore.exe (the databse restore in TFS wizard wasn't finding any compatible backup). Than I fixed the Reporting services, SharePoint and went through  Upgrade Wizard in TFS configuration. Then just fixing the SharePoint address and voilà...

Now every works fine on Windows Server 2012 R2 and SQL Server 2012 SP1. Ready for next upgrade to TFS2013 :-)

Thanks for help, Martin

Thursday, April 10, 2014 9:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Martin,

Thanks for your post.

There’s a lot of dependencies on a server name, it’s not easy to do. We suggest you follow the steps in this document to move TFS Server from one hardware to another to achieve that. You can refer to the discussions in this post or the information MS provided in this connect.

Thursday, April 3, 2014 5:49 AM
  • Hi John,

I am a little bit supprised with this comment from MS:

... we recommend migrating your TFS instance to another server if you need to have a different machine name.  As the core of the problem has to do with our dependencies' functionality rather than that of TFS, and to fix it through TFS would be a substantial investment, this is not something we plan to address at this time. 

So you are trying to tell me, that there is no way to rename the server? I have to reinstall the TFS instead? That is somethning I would like to avoid.

Regards Martin

Thursday, April 3, 2014 8:55 AM
  • Hi Martin, 

Thanks for your reply.

And sorry for any inconvenience, there’s no a default way to change TFS Server machine’s name directly. So we suggest provide a new machine with the name which you want, then install the SQL Server on this new machine and move your current TFS Server to that new machine.

Thursday, April 3, 2014 9:09 AM
  • You think, this is really the only way?

Rename a server with SQL is no problem and I hope SharePoint must have also some procedure to do it.

I thought, we can ommit the installation procedure.

Martin

Thursday, April 3, 2014 9:35 AM
  • Hi Martin,

Thanks for your reply.

But as far as I know there’s no a command line or UI feature support to reconfigure TFS Server directly after the machine name and SQL Server name be changed.

Thursday, April 3, 2014 9:58 AM
  • hi

Take a look at this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms252469(v=vs.90).aspx

I know its for 2008 but you can get the idea.

Alternatively you can create a DNS Alias, with either the new or old name.

Thursday, April 3, 2014 11:02 AM
  • OK, but TFS 2008 nad TFS 2012, there is huge difference. I have also SharePoint 2010 here etc.

Guys, what do you think about this: http://blogs.teamfoundation.co.za/2012/05/rename-or-clone-tfs-2010-server.html

It is for TFS 2010, but it is more similar to TFS 2012 than 2008. But there is no SharePoint rename part...

Martin

Thursday, April 3, 2014 11:25 AM
  • Hi Martin, 

Thanks for your reply.

TFS and SharePoint are two different product, and they both have their own databases. For how to rename SharePoint part, you can contact SharePoint experts about how to rename the general SharePoint product when the SharePoint installed machine’s name be changed, then you follow the same way to change your current SharePoint product which integrated with TFS Server. After renamed the SharePoint product, you can reconfigure TFS integrate with SharePoint product using TFS Admin Console. 

Friday, April 4, 2014 2:17 AM
  • Hi, one more question.

If I accept with the rename procedure as migrating to a new server, shall I install the same version of TFS 2012 (update1) or can I install last TFS2012 (update4). Can I install it on Windows Server 2012 r2 (it is missing in Operating System Requirements here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd578592(v=vs.110).aspx ). Can I use SQL Server 2012 and attach databases from SQL 2008 R2?

Thanks, regards Martin

Friday, April 4, 2014 10:54 AM
  • Hi Martin, 

Thanks for your reply.

First, we suggest you upgrade your initial TFS 2012 Update 1 to TFS 2012 Update 4, then move it.

Yes, as far as I know Windows Server 2012 R2 support TFS 2012 Server now.

Yes, I think you can use SQL Server 2012 attach the databases which backup from SQL Server 2008 R2.

Monday, April 7, 2014 2:09 AM
  • Hi,

It is one trap after another: after I installed SQL 2012 and TFS 2012 on the new Windows 2012 r2 server, I wanted to let TFS install SharePoint 2010, as we used it before, but that version of SharePoint is not possible to be installed on "Windows 8". I tried to exchange the installation file to sharepoint 2010 foundation with SP2 (which should work), but the installation failed with the same error - probably systém checks are somewhere in the TFS install guide..

Question to upgrade TFS: now we run update1, can I upgrade directly to update4?

Regards, Martin

Monday, April 7, 2014 6:06 AM
  • Hi Martin, 

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, SharePoint Foundation 2010 cannot install on Windows Server 2012 or Windows 8, please refer to the information in this document: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288751(v=office.14).aspx.

Yes, as far as I know we can upgrade from TFS 2012 update 1(RTM) to TFS 2012 Update 4 directly. 

If you want to use SharePoint Foundation 2010 with your TFS 2012 Server, we suggest you install your TFS 2012 Server on Windows Server 2008 R2. 

Monday, April 7, 2014 9:34 AM
  • Hi John, you have marked some fo your replies as answer, but it is not correct. Yesterday, I finalized the procedure and since today morning we have been running on a new TFS server.

I created a new Windows server 2012 R2 instead of renaming the old one(I tried it but I was not able to fix all the thinks, so it was not working fine). Then I installed SQL 2012 SP1 and TFS 2012 update4. The problem with installing SharePoint 2010 during TFS installation I have solved by installing Sharepoint 2010 SP2 (which is compatibble with Windfows Server 2012 R2) manually.

I din't want to upgrade the original TFS server (2012 update1) (just to avoid problems), so I backed up it via TFSbackup.exe and directly restore it via TFSRestore.exe (the databse restore in TFS wizard wasn't finding any compatible backup). Than I fixed the Reporting services, SharePoint and went through  Upgrade Wizard in TFS configuration. Then just fixing the SharePoint address and voilà...

Now every works fine on Windows Server 2012 R2 and SQL Server 2012 SP1. Ready for next upgrade to TFS2013 :-)

Thanks for help, Martin

Thursday, April 10, 2014 9:12 AM