none
Azure Backup - Can backup data and restores be routed to go through a S2S VPN or Express Route?

Question

• I realize Azure Backup is designed to use https by wanted to know if possible to have those backups and restore data be transported through a S2S VPN or Express Route.

Any insight on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Friday, November 11, 2016 2:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, it is possible to have those backups and restore data be transported through Express Route.

If you have an ExpressRoute connection between your on-premises network and Azure, you can enable BGP to propagate routes from your on-premises network to Azure. These BGP routes are used in the same way as system routes and user defined routes in each Azure subnet. Forced tunneling is configured through BGP.

If you have advertise default routes (0.0.0.0/0) that will block all internet connectivity to virtual machines deployed within a virtual network and route all traffic out through the ExpressRoute circuit.

So the default routes (0.0.0.0/0) will route all the VM’s traffic out through the ExpressRoute circuit.

Note that if you advertise default routes, we will force traffic to services offered over public peering (such as Azure storage and SQL DB) back to your premises. You will have to configure your routers to return traffic to Azure through the public peering path or over the internet.

More information about ExpressRoute, please refer to the link below:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/expressroute-faqs/

If you still have questions, welcome to post back here. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Bammer53 Tuesday, November 15, 2016 4:42 PM
    Friday, November 11, 2016 9:21 AM

All replies

• Hello, one way to look at it: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f05d5fd2-1465-44a1-b46b-3e077735312d/backup-to-azure-over-express-route?forum=windowsazureonlinebackup

On the other hand if you look here: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/258995-azure-backup-and-scdpm/suggestions/6555612-expressroute-and-azure-backup

The latest comment says: "This is already supported. Use Public peering and all traffic to public endpoints of Microsoft Azure will go through Express Route.". So you might try that.

The data above this text is pseudorandom, brace yourselves.

Friday, November 11, 2016 4:02 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, it is possible to have those backups and restore data be transported through Express Route.

If you have an ExpressRoute connection between your on-premises network and Azure, you can enable BGP to propagate routes from your on-premises network to Azure. These BGP routes are used in the same way as system routes and user defined routes in each Azure subnet. Forced tunneling is configured through BGP.

If you have advertise default routes (0.0.0.0/0) that will block all internet connectivity to virtual machines deployed within a virtual network and route all traffic out through the ExpressRoute circuit.

So the default routes (0.0.0.0/0) will route all the VM’s traffic out through the ExpressRoute circuit.

Note that if you advertise default routes, we will force traffic to services offered over public peering (such as Azure storage and SQL DB) back to your premises. You will have to configure your routers to return traffic to Azure through the public peering path or over the internet.

More information about ExpressRoute, please refer to the link below:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/expressroute-faqs/

Best Regards,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Bammer53 Tuesday, November 15, 2016 4:42 PM
    Friday, November 11, 2016 9:21 AM
  • "4c" thanks for those links... I did see the first one but missed the second./
    I appreciate your response and helping me.

Brian

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 4:42 PM
  • Jason,

Thank you very much for your complete response on this. This is great information and I will pass along to customer!

Thanks again,
    Brian

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 4:44 PM
  • Jason,

I did have just one quick follow-up on this... information you provided above is on support for this scenario via Express Route which is great, can you verify if it can be accomplished via Azure Site-to-Site VPN?

Brian

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 4:50 PM
  • Hi Bammer,

As far as I know, the site-to-site VPN not support, because the Azure VPN gateway today does NOT perform outbound proxy or source-NAT functionality to the Internet directly.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 7:19 AM