paged out RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

what is paged out in ms sql server memory?

Thursday, May 23, 2013 3:33 PM

Answers

• A "Page File" is a file on the hard drive that handles situations where the operating system wants to swap (or "page out") sections of memory. This is not limited to windows but other modern operating systems (linux, unix) uses similar mechanism.

If for some reason (due to bad device drivers or other component in windows) either leak memory or uses too much memory -- Windows can detect low memory situation and in some cases signals all the application running (including SQL server) to trim its working set (physical memory). In such situation SQL server can page out its memory to page file (disk). Obviously this is not good for performance of SQL server. Such occurrence would be reported in SQL server error log as "a significant portion of the SQL server memory has been paged out..." etc.   

• Proposed as answer by Shanky_621MVP Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Fanny Liu Thursday, May 30, 2013 10:54 AM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:32 PM
  • Read this http://mssqlwiki.com/2012/06/27/a-significant-part-of-sql-server-process-memory-has-been-paged-out/

Thank you,

Karthick P.K |My blogs|My Scribbles|Twitter|My Facebook Group|

www.Mssqlwiki.com

Please click the Mark as answer button and vote as helpful if this reply solves your problem

Saturday, May 25, 2013 11:20 AM

All replies

• A "Page File" is a file on the hard drive that handles situations where the operating system wants to swap (or "page out") sections of memory. This is not limited to windows but other modern operating systems (linux, unix) uses similar mechanism.

If for some reason (due to bad device drivers or other component in windows) either leak memory or uses too much memory -- Windows can detect low memory situation and in some cases signals all the application running (including SQL server) to trim its working set (physical memory). In such situation SQL server can page out its memory to page file (disk). Obviously this is not good for performance of SQL server. Such occurrence would be reported in SQL server error log as "a significant portion of the SQL server memory has been paged out..." etc.   

• Proposed as answer by Shanky_621MVP Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:31 PM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:32 PM
  • Read this http://mssqlwiki.com/2012/06/27/a-significant-part-of-sql-server-process-memory-has-been-paged-out/

Thank you,

Karthick P.K |My blogs|My Scribbles|Twitter|My Facebook Group|

www.Mssqlwiki.com

Please click the Mark as answer button and vote as helpful if this reply solves your problem

Saturday, May 25, 2013 11:20 AM