ASP.NET,,, auto login to external websites from internal intranet using AD authenticated user!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I wonder if any one has done or knows how to tackle this problem.

Situation:

My client currently uses a large volume of external information providers. The resources are accessed over the web and the users are required to login with a generic company username and password (for that resource) on every visit.

I want to authenticate a user internally via AD and then provide links to the various external resources and not require the user to then authenticate at the external website or webapp. In effect I need a way to Autologin an internally approved user to an external resource. Needs to be secure. I don't want to pass username/password etc in the URL,,,, legal market so the more secure the better.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction??

Cheers folks. 

Thursday, March 9, 2006 11:47 AM

Answers

• There are a few ideas I can give.

1. Once you authenticate your clients via AD, then you know that the clients are legit.
    since you have a generic user/pass for each external site, you can easily maintain
    a mapping of site and credentials in a database or in a file. Then you programatically send the user/password to the external sites.

2. However if you require direct access - not programatic - what I suggest is to use a proxy server. The proxy server can authenticate clients and issue requests to external web sites using custom credentials

Thursday, March 9, 2006 2:36 PM

All replies

• There are a few ideas I can give.

1. Once you authenticate your clients via AD, then you know that the clients are legit.
    since you have a generic user/pass for each external site, you can easily maintain
    a mapping of site and credentials in a database or in a file. Then you programatically send the user/password to the external sites.

2. However if you require direct access - not programatic - what I suggest is to use a proxy server. The proxy server can authenticate clients and issue requests to external web sites using custom credentials

Thursday, March 9, 2006 2:36 PM
  •  

Hi ,

I am new to .NET and I have a similar issue. My client has a website with 2 user groups, Admin and User.

Admin and User are 2 different websites/Virtual Directories. Now I need to access User info from Admin module.

I should be able to login as any user from admin module. (automatic login/skip login page).

After loging in admin does not do any operation, it just for looking in to member account.

At present i am accomplishing this by query strings.

But is there anything better than that... using query strings seems too fragile for me.

I am using Forms authentication...

Please help.

Regards,

Jay

Monday, August 13, 2007 11:34 AM