none
Biztalk Administration Console wouldn't start RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, 

I issued the following: 

net stop "Enterprise Single Sign-On Service" & net start "Enterprise Single Sign-On Service"

Which also stopped some other services, I tried to restart the service and I did, but the snapin still complains. 

I even tried to reboot the server, but after the reboot, situation is the same. 

Please help 

God bless you all :)

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 9:33 PM

Answers

• Well, no other option left. Seems like the Biztalk installation got corrupted and you are not even able restore it back.

All I can think of is to uninstall and then reinstall BizTalk server. If it critical you can try contacting MS Support they might be able to get it in a consistent state.

We tried are best!

Rachit Sikroria (Microsoft Azure MVP)

• Proposed as answer by Angie Xu Monday, June 20, 2016 2:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, June 20, 2016 2:04 AM
    Friday, June 10, 2016 6:25 AM

All replies

• Hi

I am hoping Host Instances and ENTSSO service is running fine?

If yes, you can try to do a repair of the BizTalk installation from the installation media after taking a downtime.

Also, please share the Exception stack trace that you see in the error window.

Thanks Arindam

Thursday, June 9, 2016 1:45 AM
  • Step 1: Do you have BizTalk SQL database on a different server? Try restarting the SQL server too. It could be that the console is not able to connect to BizTalk database.

Step2: Looks like somehow BizTalk’s registry settings are messed up.

You have to options to fix it:

Option 1) You need to open Registry editor and In the left pane of Registry Editor, navigate to following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns\FX:{9A77C670-2FFD-4ab4-8F20-169C08FB8320}

Export the registry key into .reg file and delete it.

Then you have to restart the machine Windows would automatically generate the required registry.

Registry Disclaimer : Making mistakes while manipulating registry could affect your system adversely. So be careful while editing registry entries, also its better to create a System Restore point before proceeding.

Refer: http://www.kapilarya.com/mmc-could-not-create-the-snap-in-windows-10

Option 2: Run Biztalk Installation again and chose to repair the current Installation. 

The fix is pretty easy, all you need to do is repair your installation. You don't even have to reconfigure it again. To repair the installation, follow the steps below:
    • Run the BizTalk Server installer and Click on Install Microsoft BizTalk Server.
    • In the next screen select Repair and click on Next.
    • Wait for the repair to complete, it will automatically re-create the registries for MMC and will fix the issue. Click on Next.

Thursday, June 9, 2016 3:25 AM
  • 1. PLease find The stack trace below.

2. Restrted the SQL  server which is installed on a separated machine - no luck

3. The BizTalk application service and all ather services are running fine.

4. Trying to connect to the MgmtDb from the BizTalk Administration console on another computer was not sucessfull

5. Trying to repair the installation but I'm getting 'registration of BAM performance counters failed...'

Thursday, June 9, 2016 6:30 AM
  • at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.PrepareConfigSystem()
       at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.GetSection(String sectionName)
       at System.Configuration.PrivilegedConfigurationManager.GetSection(String sectionName)
       at System.Diagnostics.DiagnosticsConfiguration.GetConfigSection()
       at System.Diagnostics.DiagnosticsConfiguration.Initialize()
       at System.Diagnostics.DiagnosticsConfiguration.get_Sources()
       at System.Diagnostics.TraceSource.Initialize()
       at System.Diagnostics.TraceSource.TraceEvent(TraceEventType eventType, Int32 id, String format, Object[] args)
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.GlobalConfiguration.SnapInHostingOptions.GetSection()
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.GlobalConfiguration.SnapInHostingOptions.ReadStringSetting(String settingKey)
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.GlobalConfiguration.SnapInHostingOptions.ReadTimeSpanSetting(String settingKey, TimeSpan defaultValue, TimeSpan minValue, TimeSpan maxValue)
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.GlobalConfiguration.SnapInHostingOptions.get_WaitDialogDelay()
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.SnapInBase.Initialized()
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.SnapInClient.Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.ISnapInClient.Initialize(ISnapInPlatform snapInPlatform)
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.SnapInInitializationOperation.OnStart()
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.Operation.Start()
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.RunningOperationsTable.EnqueueOperation(Operation operation)
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.StandAloneComponentData..ctor(SnapInRegistrationInfo info, Int32 bookkeepingId)
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Advanced.FrameworkSnapInFactory.Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Advanced.ISnapInFactory.CreateSnapIn(Int32 bookkeepingId, String snapInKey, Object& snapIn)

Thursday, June 9, 2016 6:31 AM
  • Hi 

4. Make sure that you are logged in to this new machine with a user account that is Local Admin on this box + part of BizTalk Server Admin Group on the old environment. What error are you getting on this computer?

5. You need to rebuild the performance registry counters by using the command ‘lodctr /r’ from Admin command prompt. 

Thanks Arindam

Thursday, June 9, 2016 6:36 AM
  • Installation failed after several messages: "'registration of BAM performance counters failed...'"

Thursday, June 9, 2016 6:36 AM

• 5. Trying to repair the installation but I'm getting 'registration of BAM performance counters failed...'

You could manually recreate the performance counters like described here: http://blogs.msdn.com/biztalkperformance/archive/2007/09/30/how-to-manually-recreate-missing-biztalk-performance-counters.aspx. The last line of the table mentions the BAM performance counters. You might try this.

Thursday, June 9, 2016 6:40 AM
  • The entire problem started, after I issued the following command from CMD:

net stop "BizTalk Service BizTalk Group : BizTalkServerApplication"

net stop "Enterprise Single Sign-On Service" & net start "Enterprise Single Sign-On Service"

net stop "Rule Engine Update Service" & net start "Rule Engine Update Service"

When restarting the Enterprise Single Sign-On - I got a message saying that a bunch of other services will get stopped as well. I said "Y" and then tried to start the other services manually. COM+, RPC and BizTalk Host Services

Could it be that simply speaking one of the services that I'm not aware of is not running ?

Thursday, June 9, 2016 6:41 AM
  • Hi

The services that you should check if they are running are ENTSSO and MSDTC(Distributed Transaction Coordinator). All other BizTalk services depend on these two.

Maybe you can just reboot the BizTalk box, if not done already?

Thanks Arindam

Thursday, June 9, 2016 6:47 AM
  • Hello,

Somehow during the process the performance counter registry has been damaged. 

To fix this problem open a command prompt as administrator and run:

lodctr /r

This will rebuild the performance counter registry, after which you should be able to successfully repair BizTalk Server.

As mentioned previously you could manually recreate the performance counters like described 

here: http://blogs.msdn.com/biztalkperformance/archive/2007/09/30/how-to-manually-recreate-missing-biztalk-performance-counters.aspx. The last line of the table mentions the BAM performance counters. You might try this.

Thursday, June 9, 2016 6:47 AM
  • 1. ENT SSO is running

2. MSDTC - running

3. Rebooted the server already

Thursday, June 9, 2016 7:11 AM
  • Error: Unable to rebuild performance counter setting from system backup store, e
    rror code is 2

Thursday, June 9, 2016 7:16 AM
  • Hi,

Refer: LODCTR /R Error Code 2

I've resolved with the following steps:

PS C:\Windows\system32> cmd
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
    (c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>lodctr /R

Error: Unable to rebuild performance counter setting from system backup store, error code is 2
    C:\Windows\system32>cd ..

C:\Windows>cd syswow64

C:\Windows\SysWOW64>lodctr /R

Info: Successfully rebuilt performance counter setting from system backup store
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64>winmgmt.exe /RESYNCPERF

C:\Windows\SysWOW64>

Thursday, June 9, 2016 7:18 AM
  • C:\Windows\SysWOW64>lodctr /R

Info: Successfully rebuilt performance counter setting from system backup store

The above worked like a charm.

Unfortunately repair still fails:

Thursday, June 9, 2016 8:09 AM
  • Refer: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/biztalkperformance/2007/10/01/how-to-manually-recreate-missing-biztalk-performance-counters/

As mentioned in that blog you must have run the command "lodctr BTSPerfMonExt.ini" to fix the issue.

1. Copy the BTSPerfMonExt.ini and BTSPerfMonExt.h files to the %windir%\system32 folder.
    2. At a command prompt, go to the the %windir%\system32 folder, and then type the following command to uninstall the damaged performance counters.

unlodctr “BTSSvc.3.0″

3. Then, type the following command to reinstall the BizTalk performance counters:

lodctr BTSPerfMonExt.ini

Additionally for BAM performance counters you have to recreate the performance counters using netfxperf.dll,

To recreate the performance counters using netfxperf.dll, you can use InstallUtil.exe in the .NET Framework. If the assembly is installed in the GAC, you can run InstallUtil.exe as follows:

Example: Installutil /i /assemblyname “<InstallerFileName>, Version=<VersionNumOfTheInstaller>, Culture=neutral, 
    PublicKeyToken=<PublicKeyOfTheInstaller>“

assemblyname : Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus.dll.

You can find the version and PublicKeyToken from C:\Windows\assembly.

For example,

InstallUtil /i /assemblyname “Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus.dll, Version=3.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35″

Thursday, June 9, 2016 8:56 AM
  • C:\Windows>cd SysWOW64

C:\Windows\SysWOW64>lodctr BTSPerfMonExt.ini

Counters for BTSSvc.3.0 are already installed

C:\Windows\SysWOW64>

Thursday, June 9, 2016 9:24 AM
  • For BAM performance counters you have to recreate the performance counters using netfxperf.dll,

To recreate the performance counters using netfxperf.dll, you can use InstallUtil.exe in the .NET Framework. If the assembly is installed in the GAC, you can run InstallUtil.exe as follows:

Example: Installutil /i /assemblyname “<InstallerFileName>, Version=<VersionNumOfTheInstaller>, Culture=neutral, 
    PublicKeyToken=<PublicKeyOfTheInstaller>“

assemblyname : Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus.dll.

You can find the version and PublicKeyToken from C:\Windows\assembly.

For example,

InstallUtil /i /assemblyname “Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus.dll, Version=3.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35″
    If it is not, you can run InstallUtil.exe as follows:

InstallUtil /i <Installer>

For example,

InstallUtil /i Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus.dll

Thursday, June 9, 2016 9:30 AM
  • 1. Why do I need to do all of that just to fix the MMC snapin ?

2. How do I find out the versions and the assembly keys and the publick key of the installer ?

Thursday, June 9, 2016 9:54 AM
  • 1) We are doing this because to fix MMC snapin issue you need to repair BizTalk and while repairing the Biztalk you are facing the error about corrupt BAM performance counters.

2) You have to recreate the performance counters using netfxperf.dll, you can use InstallUtil.exe in the .NET Framework to do this.

You can find the assembly: Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus

at C:\windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus\3.0.1.0__31bf3856ad364e35

You can find the InstallUtil.exe

at C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\InstallUtil.exe

You can copy paste the DLL from GAC and place it in InstallUtil folder location and run

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727>InstallUtil.exe /i Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus.dll

Restart the machine and try to run the BizTalk installer.

Works! Good enough.

Doesn't you have uninstall and install Biztalk again.

Thursday, June 9, 2016 12:16 PM
  • I will try and I will post the output. 

In the meantime, is there a replacement for the BizTalk Adminstration Console ? A command line tool that allows me to see the stats etc. ?

Or can I somehow connect the Admin console directly from my Laptop (Biztalk installed and working) to the TEST-SQL server which contains the BizTalkMgmtDb ?

Thursday, June 9, 2016 3:56 PM
  • The Process

1. cd C:\windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus\3.0.1.0__31bf3856ad364e35

1. Navigating to the location of InstallUtil.exe

Cd C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\InstallUtil.exe

The installutil.exe has not been found in the above location

1. Searching for the InstallUtil.exe

1. Found on the BT2013Developer installation disk

1. Searching in the entire computer

1. Navigating to the location

cd "D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2013 R2\SDK\Utilities\Support Tools\BizTalkHealthMonitor"

1. Copy from gac

copy  "C:\windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus\3.0.1.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus.dll" "D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2013 R2\SDK\Utilities\Support Tools\BizTalkHealthMonitor"

1. Install

cd  "D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2013 R2\SDK\Utilities\Support Tools\BizTalkHealthMonitor"

InstallUtil.exe /i Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus.dll

PS D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2013 R2\SDK\Utilities\Support Tools\BizTalkHealthMonitor> .\InstallUtil.exe /i Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus.dll

Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Installation utility Version 4.0.30319.1

Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Exception occurred while initializing the installation:

System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Configuration system failed to initialize.

PS D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2013 R2\SDK\Utilities\Support Tools\BizTalkHealthMonitor>

Thursday, June 9, 2016 5:00 PM
  • On which drive do you have windows installed?

Look for:

../Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

I have personally done it. It works!

Thursday, June 9, 2016 6:26 PM
  • copy  "C:\windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus\3.0.1.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus.dll" "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727"

Cd “C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727”

.\InstallUtil.exe /i Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus.dll

PS C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727> .\InstallUtil.exe /i Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus.dll

Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Installation utility Version 2.0.50727.6419

Running a transacted installation.

Beginning the Install phase of the installation.

See the contents of the log file for the C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus\3.0.1.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus.dll assembly's progress.

The file is located at C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus\3.0.1.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus.InstallLog.

Installing assembly 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus\3.0.1.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus.dll'.

Affected parameters are:

logtoconsole =

assemblypath = C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus\3.0.1.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus.dll

i =

logfile = C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus\3.0.1.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus.InstallLog

Creating performance counter category BizTalk:TDDS.

The Install phase completed successfully, and the Commit phase is beginning.

See the contents of the log file for the C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus\3.0.1.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus.dll assembly's progress.

The file is located at C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus\3.0.1.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus.InstallLog.

Committing assembly 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus\3.0.1.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus.dll'.

Affected parameters are:

logtoconsole =

assemblypath = C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus\3.0.1.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus.dll

i =

logfile = C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus\3.0.1.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.EventBus.InstallLog

The Commit phase completed successfully.

The transacted install has completed.

PS C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727>

Trying to repair the BizTalk  installation:

Thursday, June 9, 2016 7:07 PM
  • Can we somehow omit the BAM ? 

All I need at the moment is a working Administration Console. 

This is a test system, and BAM is not necessary, Administration Console is :)

Thursday, June 9, 2016 7:09 PM
  • hmm.. Okay 1 last attempt.

Can you do the same for Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Interceptors dll.

Location: D:\windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Interceptors\3.0.1.0__31bf3856ad364e35

Don't forget to restart the machine post this.

If that doesn't work. You can try Modify option and uncheck BAM.

Still doesnt work. You need to uninstall and install Biztalk,

Thursday, June 9, 2016 7:42 PM
  • Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Interceptors.dll

copy  "D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2013 R2\Tracking\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Interceptors.dll" "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727"

Cd “C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727”

.\InstallUtil.exe /i Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Interceptors.dll

PS C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727> .\InstallUtil.exe /i Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Interceptors.dll

Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Installation utility Version 2.0.50727.6419

Running a transacted installation.

Beginning the Install phase of the installation.

See the contents of the log file for the C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Interceptors\3.0.1.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Interceptors.dll assembly's progress.

The file is located at C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Interceptors\3.0.1.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Interceptors.InstallLog.

Installing assembly 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Interceptors\3.0.1.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Interceptors.dll'.

Affected parameters are:

logtoconsole =

assemblypath = C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Interceptors\3.0.1.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Interceptors.dll

i =

logfile = C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Interceptors\3.0.1.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Interceptors.InstallLog

No public installers with the RunInstallerAttribute.Yes attribute could be found in the C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Interceptors\3.0.1.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.BizTal

The Install phase completed successfully, and the Commit phase is beginning.

See the contents of the log file for the C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Interceptors\3.0.1.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Interceptors.dll assembly's progress.

The file is located at C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Interceptors\3.0.1.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Interceptors.InstallLog.

Committing assembly 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Interceptors\3.0.1.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Interceptors.dll'.

Affected parameters are:

logtoconsole =

assemblypath = C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Interceptors\3.0.1.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Interceptors.dll

i =

logfile = C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Interceptors\3.0.1.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Interceptors.InstallLog

No public installers with the RunInstallerAttribute.Yes attribute could be found in the

Remove InstallState file because there are no installers.

The Commit phase completed successfully.

The transacted install has completed.

PS C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727>

Reboot the server

Thursday, June 9, 2016 9:08 PM
  • INSTALL - MODIFY - Remove BAM

Unfortunately the Repair failed again

reboot

Thursday, June 9, 2016 10:02 PM
  • Well, no other option left. Seems like the Biztalk installation got corrupted and you are not even able restore it back.

All I can think of is to uninstall and then reinstall BizTalk server. If it critical you can try contacting MS Support they might be able to get it in a consistent state.

We tried are best!

• Proposed as answer by Angie Xu Monday, June 20, 2016 2:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, June 20, 2016 2:04 AM
    Friday, June 10, 2016 6:25 AM