Peek and "Go To Definition" does not always work RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2013
    Version 12.0.31101.00 Update 4
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.5.50938

Installed Version: Professional

The "Go To Definition" context menu command is almost always greyed out, The Peek command works sometimes and i get reg squiggly lines under random objects... yet the project builds, runs, debugs and publishes without issue.  While I'm sure every FLOSS developer would laugh at my floundering, this is what makes VISUAL STUDIO stand out. 

I have discoverd that by deleting the *.sou file "fixes" this issue.  Also this started after applying update 4.

Thank Kevin

Monday, March 2, 2015 1:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Kevin,

>>I'm working with a other developers/TFS so this is not an option as it would be highly disruptive.

So it has this issue in the specific project/solution, am I right? If so, I'm afraid that it is hard for us to really repro this issue in my side.

Maybe you could check out your projects to locally and then take a backup for it, and then create a new solution for it, check in it to TFS.

I met this issue before, for example, the project was the old version project, for example, it was the VS2012 project, when a customer opened it in VS2013, and it generated this issue, so one solution is that create a new solution in VS2013 resolved this issue.

In addition, if there are many projects in the same solution, open Build->Configuration manager, and make sure that the "build" option was enabled for all projects, and then clean and rebuild your whole solution, test the results.

Or you could remove the bin\debug folders for projects, and then re-open them, clean and rebuild the project, test the results.

Anyway, if not all projects have the same issue, I doubt that it is not the VS IDE issue. As my previous reply, maybe it is related to the specific projects/solution files.

But if all projects have the same issue, I think we would think about the VS installation.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 5:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Kevin,

>>I have discoverd that by deleting the *.sou file "fixes" this issue.  Also this started after applying update 4.

Sorry for that I couldn't repro this issue in my side, it works well in my VS2013. As you said that it works well after you delete the ".suo" file, one possible reason is that the project file was corrupted. If possible, please create a blank solution, and then copy the project files to the new solution, clean and rebuild your project, test the result.

In addition, as you said that it has this issue after you install the Update 4, did you install other update package before you install update 4? Maybe you could re-install it, test the result.

Please also reset your VS settings, and test the result.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms247075(v=vs.100).aspx

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 7:34 AM
  •  If possible, please create a blank solution, and then copy the project files to the new solution, clean and rebuild your project, test the result.

I'm working with a other developers/TFS so this is not an option as it would be highly disruptive.

I did follow the instructions for resetting the VS settings, but that does not seem to do much.  I'm suprised that I still have winmerge as my compare tool and the "Get Everything when a solution or project is opened" is still checked.

Thank Kevin

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 3:20 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

>>I'm working with a other developers/TFS so this is not an option as it would be highly disruptive.

So it has this issue in the specific project/solution, am I right? If so, I'm afraid that it is hard for us to really repro this issue in my side.

Maybe you could check out your projects to locally and then take a backup for it, and then create a new solution for it, check in it to TFS.

I met this issue before, for example, the project was the old version project, for example, it was the VS2012 project, when a customer opened it in VS2013, and it generated this issue, so one solution is that create a new solution in VS2013 resolved this issue.

In addition, if there are many projects in the same solution, open Build->Configuration manager, and make sure that the "build" option was enabled for all projects, and then clean and rebuild your whole solution, test the results.

Or you could remove the bin\debug folders for projects, and then re-open them, clean and rebuild the project, test the results.

Anyway, if not all projects have the same issue, I doubt that it is not the VS IDE issue. As my previous reply, maybe it is related to the specific projects/solution files.

But if all projects have the same issue, I think we would think about the VS installation.

Best Regards,

Jack

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 5:20 AM