none
Microsoft MSDN Subscription Downloads via fp-pr1.ds.microsoft.com Extremely Slow (IE11) RRS feed

All replies

• Alchoken, which files are you downloading from the slow service?  And, where are you located?

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support

Did Microsoft call you out of the blue about your computer? No, they didn't.

Thursday, January 8, 2015 4:39 PM
  • It really doesn't matter what I select...anything off this server is excruciatingly slow. As I write this, I am trying to download SQL 2014 Developer Edition (x86) iso image. Current transfer rate is 134 KB/sec...it has dropped as low as 89 KB/Sec. Download time is estimated to be in excess of 4 hours!!! 

Second Example: SQL Server 2012 Developer Edition with SP2 (x64) iso image

As I mentioned, no problems with downloading from subscriptions.downloads.msdn.microsoft.com

I am located in Las Vegas, NV

Evan Al-Chokhachy

Thursday, January 8, 2015 7:22 PM
  • Also, I have had to to put up with multiple disconnects and manual restarts as IE11 doesn't restart the failed download.

Evan Al-Chokhachy

Thursday, January 8, 2015 7:24 PM
  • If you're using IE11, try following the guidance posted at the top of this page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/aa948864.aspx.  

Let me know how it works for your 

Thanks,
    Mike

Thursday, January 8, 2015 9:14 PM
  • Microsoft File Transfer Program took over the processing of the downward. Speed improved a little bit 400-800 KB/sec but still way short of the 5 MB/sec rate I receive when downloading from the "microsoft" server I mentioned earlier.

Evan Al-Chokhachy

Thursday, January 8, 2015 11:42 PM
  • Evan,

Thanks for your patience while I've been working with our download team on this.  We've done some sampling, and we know that we're serving the files you're trying to get to the internet at a very high speed, at least 10 times what you're downloading.  

We think, then, that the slowdown that you're seeing is due to your connection to us through your ISP.  A traceroute to fp-pr1.ds.microsoft.com might be very helpful for your ISP to help speed your traffic up to us.

We also would like to check and see if your traffic compares to others near you.  If you could visit http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions and click the site feedback link at the bottom, you'll see a form that will send me an email with whatever you enter.  If you give me your IP address through that form, I can ask our team to see if we've had similar throughput to others near you.  

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

Thanks,
    Mike

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 10:57 PM
  • Evan I received your mail.  As I said there, the traceroute route information, especially with all of those timeouts, is something your ISP needs to investigate.  We are confident that we are serving data to the internet at a very high speed, and that your route to us needs some analysis and improvement on their part.  

We'll check our logs and compare your experience to others in your area for anything amiss, and we'll take any action necessary based on that investigation.

Thanks,
    Mike 

Thursday, January 15, 2015 10:08 PM
  • Thanks, Mike, for all your help. I will take up the issue with my ISP.

Evan Al-Chokhachy

Friday, January 16, 2015 5:42 PM