Topoedit.. It that what is at hand!? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear WMF-poeple!

Sorry for my very basic knowledge of this technology (about 10 hours worth of experience by now) but I feed compelled to ask - is there a somewhat more "mature" version or "clone" of Topoedit available? I'm thinking of a "graphedit evolving into more "mature" tools lite GraphStudio" kind of thing..?

Is there a more detailed documentation available on the MSDN of what parts of chipset manufacturers feature support (nVidia CUDA, etc.) that come with the WMF architecture?

Please let me know if this the wrong forum (couldn't find a single other one realting to WMF at all..)

Bjorn
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:59 PM

All replies

• Hello Björn,

as far as i know No. There isn't. However, with the topoedit source available, you could do some minor changes to fit your needs, although this solution is suboptimal.

regards

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:24 PM
  • True.. Even if that was not was I was hoping for.. :) Usually there is someone else (give alsmost 5 billion people on earth) that has come to think of the same thing (before you..).

I'll see what I'll do. Do you (or anyone else) have any clue on my second question (about what hardware support that is implemented, and hopefully documented) in WMF?

Bjorn
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 8:19 AM
  • hello Björn,

well, afaik there is no direct hardware support for special features of hardware manufacturers (like cuda). if a GPU supports DXVA, this might be supported for given decoder MFT´s (e.g. the microsoft H264 decoder MFT).

however, nVidia and AMD both provide their own decoder MFT´s that might use their gpu´s full capabilities. for AVStream based hardware codecs, WMF has a proxy MFT (according to documentation) to support them.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:12 AM
  • Using the above mentioned topoedit I manage to build a simple topolgy based ona WMV (VC-1) source file, a standard decoder (MS) and EVR for rendering and that little "package" seems to be using my nVidia Quadro NVS 290 GPU (for rendering) _and_ CUDA (for decoding, I assume) resulting in a low (and nice) CPU usage of my Windows 7 box...

Same thing does not happen (or at least not in the same CPU-nice way) using a ATI Radeon card. This was the basis for my question. Does MS preferr nVidia-chipsets in any way or why this difference!? Would sure love to read alittle about the MS WMV decoder (and EVR for that matter) and thier relation to different graphics chipsets.. :)

Bjorn
    Monday, January 16, 2012 8:37 AM
  • If you have suggestions for things you would like to see in TopoEdit, you can post them in this forum as a discussion thread.  The time we have to work on TopoEdit is limited, but we are always trying to support MF development with better tools.

The WMV decoder uses DXVA2.0, if available, to accelerate decoding.  A particular driver and piece of graphics hardware might not support DXVA2.0 at all, or it might only support acceleration of a subset of operations.  We provide the DXVA2.0 specs for graphics drivers to implement; it is up to the manufacturers what they decide to implement for each of their cards.

Friday, February 10, 2012 10:02 PM