The path <path> already mapped in workspace. RRS feed

• Question

• Question:

Lets say I have 2 buildtypes in Team Build 2008 that map to the same source branch in TFS.  The reason I have 2 buildtypes is each buildtype builds with a seperate set of parameters.  When I try to do this I get the following error:

The path C:\TeamFoundation\Dev\Build\Sources\NightlyBuild1 is already mapped in workspace SERVER1_14.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Thursday, June 26, 2008 8:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The $(SourceDir) in the build definition workspace mappings is expanded to include the Build directory you set for the Build Agent. The best way to solve the workspace mapping conflicts when you have multiple build definitions mapping the same branch is to include $(BuildDefinitionPath) or $(BuildDefinitionID) in the build directory path for the build agent.

$(BuildDefinitionPath) = TeamProject\BuildDefinitionName (this might end up being too long).

$(BuildDefinitionID) = a unique number idenitifying the build definition (use this if you want to keep the path short and unique).

Both will be expanded by TeamBuild at runtime. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Madhuri

Monday, June 30, 2008 7:08 PM

All replies

•  

I currently have 4 builds. CI, QA, QA Full and Deployment. The QA and QA Full the only difference is that the Full on builds our installer (Which takes about 20 mins) but both of these point to the same branch.

If you are using VS 2008 my suggestion is to go to your build machine and delete the Workspace SERVER1_14 and go back and Edit your Build Definitions and make sure the Workpace are set up properly in the dialog for both your builds. This worked for me.

If you are using VS2005 I'll let someone else answer because I didn't use TeamBuild in VS2005. Smile

Thursday, June 26, 2008 11:47 PM
  • Hi,

The $(SourceDir) in the build definition workspace mappings is expanded to include the Build directory you set for the Build Agent. The best way to solve the workspace mapping conflicts when you have multiple build definitions mapping the same branch is to include $(BuildDefinitionPath) or $(BuildDefinitionID) in the build directory path for the build agent.

$(BuildDefinitionPath) = TeamProject\BuildDefinitionName (this might end up being too long).

$(BuildDefinitionID) = a unique number idenitifying the build definition (use this if you want to keep the path short and unique).

Thanks,

Madhuri

Monday, June 30, 2008 7:08 PM
  • Hello,

I also had the same problem. To solve it, I logged on to the TFS server as the build account, opened up Visual Studio 2010, opened up the list of work spaces and deleted the one in question (TFS automatically creates these work spaces).

My world was then a happy place once again.

Thanks,

Andy

.Net Developer
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 9:13 AM
  • Hi,

I’m having similar problem and currently I’m using VS2010 with TFS 2010.

I have noticed that the build definition is defined in DefaultTemplate.xaml Workflow and i have no idea as to how i can change the BuildDefinitionPath and/or BuildDefinitionID in this workflow.

Error:

The path ... is already mapped in workspace 20_1_bob.

Could someone please help me in this regard.

Kind regards,

Pavan

Pavan Kumar Puttaparthi Tirumala Software Engineer Console Australia Pty Ltd
    • Edited by ptpavankumar Sunday, October 10, 2010 11:39 PM spell mistake
    • Proposed as answer by ptpavankumar Monday, October 11, 2010 12:54 AM
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 11:37 PM
  • I think i have fixed the problem by setting build definition path to relative path instead of Absolute path.

Note: This message is for my reference only.

Status      Source Control Folder               BuildAgent Folder
    Active      $/Workshop/Trunk                 C:/Workshop/Trunk 

This has been changed to

Active      $/Workshop/Trunk                 $(SourceDir)

Pavan Kumar Puttaparthi Tirumala Software Engineer Console Australia Pty Ltd
    • Proposed as answer by ptpavankumar Monday, October 11, 2010 12:54 AM
    Monday, October 11, 2010 12:54 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks,

Madhuri

This DOES NOT work. I get this error:

TF10122: The path 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\$(BuildDefinitionPath)\PROJECTS\MyProject' contains a '$' at the beginning of a path component. Remove the '$' and try again.

Indicating these are not system variables at all.

Friday, July 15, 2011 12:31 PM
  • It looks like that you are changing it in the wrong place,

try putting it in the build agent working directory parameter.

Sunday, December 18, 2011 12:59 PM
  • Thanks, this worked for me.

One thing you didn't mention, you have to Run Visual Studio as the user that the Build Agent runs as.

Dave

Friday, February 17, 2012 11:54 AM
  • Hi,

I got 

Error:

The path D:\LEOAutomationTestApp is already mapped in workspace <Servername>;<Username>

Active      $/Workshop/Trunk                 C:/Workshop/Trunk 

This has been changed to

Active      $/Workshop/Trunk                 $(SourceDir)

But i got below error:

Latest Activity
    Build last modified by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 12 seconds ago.
    Summary
    Other Errors and Warnings
     2 error(s), 0 warning(s)
     MSBUILD : error MSB1008: Only one project can be specified. Switch: Pogala/p:password:nenaLOPA123@  For switch syntax, type "MSBuild /help" 
     TF42097: A work item could not be created due to a field error. The following fields have incorrect values: Field: 'Changed By' Value: 'SYSTEM', Field: 'Activated By' Value: 'SYSTEM'

Please reply

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 7:15 AM