none
Compatibility Between VS2008 and MS Office 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to create an Excel Add-In using Visual Studio 2008. I currently have MS Office 2010 installed.

When i try to create an Excel 2007 Add-In, when building and running the Add-In, i get an error saying that i do not have the corrected version of MS Excel installed. I assume that it is looking the 2007 version of Excel.

Is there any way around this problem?

Thanks,

Steve

Thursday, October 25, 2012 7:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Steve

Office 2010 didn't exist when VSTO 2008 was created, so it can't work with the newer version of Office.

You'd need to upgrade to VS 2010, or uninstall Office 2010 and install Office 2007. An Add-in developed for Office 2007 should work for 2010 - unless you want 2010-specific functionality, which you can't have in this scenario, of course.

Another option would be to create a straight IDTExtensibility2 Add-in using the Shared Add-ins template - that doesn't care which version of Office you have installed. Getting the "plumbing" working takes a bit more effort and you don't have the Windows Forms controls or data binding available "out of the box", nor the Ribbon Designer - IOW those special things VSTO provide for you...

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Steve

Office 2010 didn't exist when VSTO 2008 was created, so it can't work with the newer version of Office.

You'd need to upgrade to VS 2010, or uninstall Office 2010 and install Office 2007. An Add-in developed for Office 2007 should work for 2010 - unless you want 2010-specific functionality, which you can't have in this scenario, of course.

Another option would be to create a straight IDTExtensibility2 Add-in using the Shared Add-ins template - that doesn't care which version of Office you have installed. Getting the "plumbing" working takes a bit more effort and you don't have the Windows Forms controls or data binding available "out of the box", nor the Ribbon Designer - IOW those special things VSTO provide for you...

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:00 PM
  • Cindy,

Thank you!

Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:06 PM