Should we go asp.net now or wait till 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• User407647106 posted
    I own a small new media shop and we use asp, but we are anxious to use asp.net, but we find that our development time has quadropabled and it is taking 4 times longer to develop projects and we are losing money as a result. would it be advisable for us to just wait for asp.net 2.0 or is it just going to get more complicated as it goes along?
    Tuesday, May 4, 2004 1:46 PM

All replies

• User-1069184416 posted
    Well, ASP.NET 2.0 is represented by the fact that less code is needed for development. However, i believe whenever something gets smaller in code, it means its getting more harder to work with. But after all asp.net 2.0 makes your life easier, saves a lot of code and it contains more than 40 ready new server controls. So i believe, if you want to wait until 2.0 is in the market, then u will loose more and more, so contiue with asp.net now and at the same time start preparing for asp.net 2.0 if you can. That's what i am doing currently. Good Luck.
    Tuesday, May 4, 2004 1:55 PM
  • User-1495957243 posted
    ASP.NET is a much faster development environment the regular ASP. If you are taking longer to develop projects, it's most likely due to the fact that your dev team is not as comfortable working in the .NET environment and hasn't built up the libraries to take advantage of the reusability of developing in the .NET environment. I would suggest creating this business logic layers first and wait for ASP 2.0 to create the UI as many of the page the development features will be much more flexible and allow for better reuseablility.
    Tuesday, May 4, 2004 2:25 PM
  • User-1029435529 posted
    Why are you "anxious" to use ASP.NET? ASP is a valid, mature technology that should not be considered "obsolete". To avoid losing money, it might make more sense to develop medium-to-large projects with ASP. That way, you leverage your existing knowledge and code libraries. And most clients couldn't care less whether their site runs on ASP or ASP.NET. When a small project comes along, use it to learn ASP.NET. Simply dropping ASP in preference to ASP.NET is the sort of business move that can sink a company ... it abandons all of your hard-earned experience and code. I'd strongly advise you to "cut your teeth" on small projects to start with. (What the heck does that expression mean, anyway???) As to ASP.NET 2.0, I think it will be one-step-up and two-steps-back move. From the little I've seen of it, it seems to add more complexity to a framework that is already complex. I think it will be harder to learn, not easier. So, again, just start dabbling in ASP.NET 1.1 now, and dabble on smallish projects.
    Tuesday, May 4, 2004 2:32 PM
  • User-116373494 posted
    I couldn't resist.. When baby chews on objects, he/she is " cutting " an opening in the gum, caused by the baby tooth underneath. This is also known as teething. It allows the teeth to emerge I agree with your advice also
    Tuesday, May 4, 2004 2:53 PM
  • User645477409 posted
    Then you really need to take a closer look. ASP.NET 2.0 is so much easier than ASP.NET 1.1...
    Tuesday, May 4, 2004 2:54 PM
  • User-1029435529 posted
    <color="#6633cc">> Then you really need to take a closer look.</color> Agreed. But I'm still trying to get my head around ASP.NET 1.1 :) <color="#6633cc">> ASP.NET 2.0 is so much easier than ASP.NET 1.1... </color> I think you are way too experienced to make that call. May I ask (and it's a genuine question, not a challenge), is ASP.NET 2.0 being tested on complete newbies?
    Thanks, uncleb. Can you tell who here is childless? Heheh.
    Tuesday, May 4, 2004 3:07 PM
  • User645477409 posted
    Yes, it is being tested on a very wide range of users, including complete newbies, as are all Microsoft products, and we take great care integrating these usability studies' results into the final product. So we're getting there, and there is still work to do in this area. Making it easier has been one of our main goals with this release, so please feel free to e-mail me and tell me what you found difficult in what you saw of v2.
    Tuesday, May 4, 2004 3:16 PM
  • User-1029435529 posted
    Thanks for the invitation to provide feedback. I'll do so, as I love ASP.NET, yet do indeed have concerns about what I've read regarding v2. Is your email just your handle here with @microsoft.com? Or, if it's private, can you say hello?
    Tuesday, May 4, 2004 3:40 PM
  • User645477409 posted
    Yes, the mail address is my alias followed by @microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, May 4, 2004 5:45 PM