none
Active Sync warning RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

It appears we started receiving  errors similar to the one below since last week on our Exchange Server 2016.   A staff member stated he was receiving emails normally on his PC but not on his phone. 

This server has been set up since November 2019 without any issues.  The default ports in the firewall were added as part of the Exchange installation.

I have seen information online that suggest doing a variety of things such as creating registry keys, change the page file to installed memory and a number of other steps indicated here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/archive/blogs/david231/for-exchange-2010-and-2013-do-this-before-calling-microsoft

Are all of these steps really required to resolve the issue?  The KB905013 does not appear available after doing an online search

I see https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/35919.event-id-1040-on-exchange-servers.aspx about changing the heartbeat interval value in the web.config file but should this really be necessary if there hasn’t been an issue before now? Is modifying this file recommended?

Log Name:      Application

Source:        MSExchange ActiveSync

Date:          9/22/2020 11:45:51 AM

Event ID:      1040

Task Category: Requests

Level:         Warning

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      Server.Domain.com

Description:

The average of the most recent heartbeat intervals [505] for request [Ping] used by clients is less than or equal to [540].

Make sure that your firewall configuration is set to work correctly with Exchange ActiveSync and direct push technology. Specifically, make sure that your firewall is configured so that requests to Exchange ActiveSync do not expire before they have the opportunity to be processed.

For more information about how to configure firewall settings when using Exchange ActiveSync, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 905013, "Enterprise Firewall Configuration for Exchange ActiveSync Direct Push Technology" (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=3052&kbid=905013).

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="MSExchange ActiveSync" />

<EventID Qualifiers="32772">1040</EventID>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>1</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-09-22T15:45:51.139582000Z" />

<EventRecordID>3561695</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>Server.Domain.com</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>505</Data>

<Data>Ping</Data>

<Data>540</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Thanks,

Roger

r

Tuesday, September 22, 2020 4:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Roger,

Please temporarily turn off the firewall and see if the warning still appears.

Is this warning only for this user? Please try to use the mobile phone to receive and send test emails, and check if there are any problems. If the mailbox works normally, according to the error message, this is a warning. I think you could ignore it.

If the mailbox does not work normally, please try to use ExRCA to test Exchange Activesync. If there is any error during the connection, ExRCA will provide detailed error information.

About ExRCA: Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer.

Please note that, this Exchange Server Development forum mainly focuses on scripting issues, And the previous TechNet Exchange forum has been migrated to Q&A forum, please post your issues there if you need further support. 

Regards,

Lucas Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 25, 2020 10:56 AM
  • Hello Lucas,

The message is not for a specific mailbox but has been appearing every 10 minutes or so. I don't have access to the user's device.  I read elsewhere a suggestion to have the user disable the synchronization of email items on the phone, and then re-enable the sync.  However, this does not appear to have had any effect.

I don't believe ignoring the message would be appropriate. It references viewing Microsoft Knowledge Base article 905013, "Enterprise Firewall Configuration for Exchange ActiveSync Direct Push Technology" (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=3052&amp;kbid=905013).  But I cannot locate this.

Thanks.

r

Monday, September 28, 2020 5:10 PM
  • Hi Roger,

According to my research, This warning is not an issue on Exchange Servers. This is a mismatch value configured on the Network Load Balancer which serves the Client is not configured correctly.

The best practice is to increase the firewall Time Out Values for HTTP requests to Exchange Servers Active Sync Virtual Directory to give a better experience to the users. The time-out value on the firewall can be equal to or greater than the values specified on the Exchange 2016 servers.

For more information you could refer to:Event Id 1040 and Direct Push.

In addition, referring to similar cases, usually the warning will not affect the actual use of the user.

Please note that, this Exchange Server Development forum mainly focuses on scripting issues, And the previous TechNet Exchange forum has been migrated to Q&A forum, please post your issues there if you need further support. 

Regards,

Lucas Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 30, 2020 8:23 AM
  • Hi Lucas,

Thank you for the reply.  I increased the firewall Time Out Values for HTTP requests to Exchange Servers from the default 15 minutes to 30 minutes. I also tried with 60 minutes. Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to have had any effect as the warnings continue to appear every 15 minutes.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Roger

r

Thursday, October 1, 2020 3:14 PM
  • Hi Roger,

Please try to run the following command to remove and re-create a new ActiveSync Virtual directory:

Remove-ActiveSyncVirtualDirectory
    New-ActiveSyncVirtualDirectory

Regards,

Lucas Liu

Tuesday, October 6, 2020 10:37 AM