Deploying an Access based application RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am using VS2013 in VB and have a Windows Forms based application.  I use Microsoft Access as my database vehicle.  I have targeted the target CPU as "Any CPU". My problem is that in the Setup Project Microsoft Access does not show up as a prerequisite.  So I must have a process that installs "AccessDatabaseEngine.exe" myself.  Things get really messy when I have to determine which version to install, 32 or 64 bit.  Is there a way that I can make the Access Database Engine a prerequisite so that the Setup project can do all the heavy lifting?  Thanks, Jim
    Wednesday, March 18, 2015 5:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Jim,

>> My problem is that in the Setup Project Microsoft Access does not show up as a prerequisite.  So I must have a process that installs "AccessDatabaseEngine.exe" myself.

I think you could use Bootstrapper Packages and treat them as prerequisite to install the AccessDatabaseEngine.exe programmatically. The link below shows the details.

# Programmatically install Microsoft Access Database engine if installed
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/2d0b6eee-10e5-4116-a4a5-963ee6652025/c-programmatically-install-microsoft-access-database-engine-if-installed?forum=winformssetup

>> Things get really messy when I have to determine which version to install, 32 or 64 bit.  Is there a way that I can make the Access Database Engine a prerequisite so that the Setup project can do all the heavy lifting?

I made a lot of research about this, and it seems that there is no a better way to achieve that. In my option, the accessdatabaseengine version is not only according the system version, it also according to the version of the Office which is installed in the machine. For example, if you system version is 64 bit, and you install the 64 bit Access Database Engine, but if the Office in the machine is 32 bit, the Access Database Engine will give you error.

The link below shows the details

# 32 bit winform application doesn't run on 64 bit OS
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15392438/32-bit-winform-application-doesnt-run-on-64-bit-os

As far as I know, for this situation, It would be better to create two version ClickOnce (32bit & 64), and then install the ClickOnce according the different situation.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Jim Palatine Thursday, March 19, 2015 8:10 PM
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 7:11 AM