none
Does installing Office 2010 Object Libraries Require Office 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to develop an RTD COM component that will be used by Excel. My development computer has Office 2010 so all works fine. But my build server does not have Office 2010, do I need to install it on the server in order to build my project/solution?

I don't see the need for such requirement but not sure if I am misunderstanding the motivation behind this requirement.

Can someone shed some light on this please?

• Moved by Paul Zhou Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:35 AM VSTO (From:.NET Base Class Library)
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 5:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Monk,

Thank you for posting.

As far as I know, if you use Office PIA, you need to install Office application on the machine. You can see the requirments from the site:

System Requirements

• Supported Operating Systems:Windows 2000 Service Pack 4;Windows Server 2003;Windows XP Service Pack 2

• This download works with the following Office program:
      • 2007 Microsoft Office system

I hope this can help you and just feel to follow up.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Bruce Song Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:19 AM
    Monday, April 4, 2011 10:46 AM

All replies

• I think, if not complete office, atleast the dll's are needed. Because, if your application uses those library and they are not present on executing environment then how will your project build.

Please mark this post as answer if it solved your problem. Happy Programming !!!
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 6:06 PM
  • I do have Office 2010 Primary Interop Assemblies. But my question is do I need to have Office 2010 installed in addition to the PIAs?
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:33 AM
  • Oh ok.. That's sufficient. Office 2010 need not be installed then. Only thing is check whether you can distribute office components (I am very weak copy right things).

Please mark this post as answer if it solved your problem. Happy Programming !!!
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:28 AM
  • Thanks for the response.

Seems not installing Office didn't work. Once I installed it, I was able to build fine.

This seems strange. So still looking for tips on how to make build work without installing MS Office.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:30 PM
  • Hi Monk,

Welcome to the MSDN forum!

I’m moving your thread to VSTO Forum to get better support.

Have a nice day!

Paul Zhou [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:35 AM
  • Hi Monk,

Thank you for posting.

As far as I know, if you use Office PIA, you need to install Office application on the machine. You can see the requirments from the site:

System Requirements

• Supported Operating Systems:Windows 2000 Service Pack 4;Windows Server 2003;Windows XP Service Pack 2

• This download works with the following Office program:
      • 2007 Microsoft Office system

I hope this can help you and just feel to follow up.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Bruce Song Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:19 AM
    Monday, April 4, 2011 10:46 AM
  • I am running into the same issue on our build server - does this mean that we need to install a licensed copy of Office on our build server?  The build server does nothing more than build our project and it seems silly to need to buy a license just to get some references to work.

Can you let me know if there's something I'm missing?

Friday, June 10, 2011 1:17 AM