Metrostyle app not opening

Question

• As the title says, The Metrostyle apps are not opening, i have even instilled windows fresh to try and fix the problem but still have it, i click on the desktop Metrostyle app, and i get taken to the desktop, i click the windows explorer Metrostyle app and get taken to windows explorer on the desktop, I can even get in to the Metro style app control panel, but everything else does not work, i click on internet explorer Metrostyle app, and it just sits there, i click on the store, and it just sits there, everything else just sits there, nothing pops open, nothing is loading, no signs of it even trying to load anything from the led on the netbook, its just crazy, 

I add also that everything else is working fine, and i have the windows theme working fine, and all the drives are instilled, 

My computer is a HP Mini 110-3100,

Hardware : 

Processor : Intel® Atom™ Processor N475 • 1.83 GHz, 667 MHz FSB 
    Chipset : Intel® NM10 + ICH8m chipset
    Standard memory : 1 GB DDR2 (1 x 1024 MB) 
    Internal drives : 250 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 5400 rpm
    Graphics : Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 (shared)
    Display resolution : 1024 x 600
    Ports : 1 VGA port, 1 headphone-out/microphone-in combo jack, 3 USB 2.0 ports, 1 RJ45 ethernet port,
    Slots : 2-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards and MultiMedia cards
    Webcam : Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone (VGA)
    Audio features : Generic, mono
    Pointing device : Touch Pad with dedicated vertical Scroll Up/Down
    Keyboard : 93% Full size keyboard
    Network interface : Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN
    Wireless technologies : Broadcom 4313 802.11b/g/n

Battery type : 6-cell Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) battery

Problem fixed, 

Go to the left hand side corner of the screen and click search, then look up "regedit" by pressing enter after you have entered the word, enter again to select and open "regedit", and it should open, click edit then find, and enter "Display1_DownScalingSupported" double click it and change it to a "1" then OK, close and restart, once at the desktop, right click, click screen resolution, and change it to 1024 x 768, or higher than 1024 x 600, 

Big Thanks go's out to Sanjuro who found and fixed the problem, also Thank you Sztupy for finding that post and showing us all,

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:56 PM

Answers

• Resolutions lower than 1024x768 are not supported by metro apps. You might try this: http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=80812 It will enabled native higher resolutions, and will compress them to fit on the screen. It won't look that good (I recommend increasing font size to 125% though) but at least the apps will work.
    • Proposed as answer by MadMojo Saturday, September 17, 2011 9:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by SignedAdam Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:10 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:12 PM
  • Sorry to hear you are having problems also, there could be many reasons for you having problems, as you have to take in to count this is a Preview of what is to come from Microsoft's Windows, But most likely you are having the same problem as me and many others, try the Registry trick, 

Go to the left hand side corner of the screen and click search, then look up "regedit" by pressing enter after you have entered the word, enter again to select and open "regedit", and it should open, click edit then find, and enter "Display1_DownScalingSupported" double click it and change it to a "1" then OK, close and restart, once at the desktop, right click, click screen resolution, and change it to 1024 x 768, or higher than 1024 x 600, 

Big Thanks go's out to Sanjuro who found and fixed the problem, also Thank you Sztupy for finding that post and showing us all,

• Edited by SignedAdam Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by SignedAdam Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:11 AM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:22 AM

All replies

• Resolutions lower than 1024x768 are not supported by metro apps. You might try this: http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=80812 It will enabled native higher resolutions, and will compress them to fit on the screen. It won't look that good (I recommend increasing font size to 125% though) but at least the apps will work.
    • Proposed as answer by MadMojo Saturday, September 17, 2011 9:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by SignedAdam Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:10 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:12 PM
  • Thanks for the hint about the resolution. I was having the same issue with my ASUS Eee PC. I was not able to open any of the Metro style apps. After reading your reply, I checked the screen resolution of the ASUS Eee PC, the maximum supported resolution is less than 1024 x 600, so none of the Metro Apps were starting. I then connected my Eee PC to my Samsung 23" Monitor which supports a max resolution of 1920 x 1080 and now all the Metro Apps start and they look beautiful. I opened some of the Metro Apps like Weather and Stocks etc, and they look pretty good on a 23" screen.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:01 PM
  • the hack above from sztupy worked great for me.
    Travelguy
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:38 AM
  • @Sztupy Thank you for your help, I think Windows 8 should support are screens, I've been wanting my desktop like this for a long time, it make it look a little bigger than what it is, gives you more space to work, but as i said, they need to support the smaller screens, because some people would like to see windows 8 on a phone one day,
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:39 PM
  • That is not the problem I am having. I attempted Windows 8 on my Motion LE1600 and it installed, but none of the Metro apps function. I can tap on them and they'll show their loading screen, but won't load. It may have something to do with the fact that I did an upgrade from 7 instead of a clean install. I also can't do a a PC Refresh because it tells me that there is some ordinal 343 that could not be located.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:10 PM
  • Sorry to hear you are having problems also, there could be many reasons for you having problems, as you have to take in to count this is a Preview of what is to come from Microsoft's Windows, But most likely you are having the same problem as me and many others, try the Registry trick, 

• Edited by SignedAdam Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by SignedAdam Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:11 AM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:22 AM
  • Awesome, Followed the steps in your link for my Acer Aspire One D260 netbook and now the tiles work great.

Thanks for this

Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:29 AM
  • It must have been one of my installed programs (I did an upgrade instead of a clean install), because when I did break down and do a clean install the apps worked. However, it would seem that MS has designed Windows 8 so that you cannot work with apps side-by-side in a full screen resolution. I changed my laptops widescreen resolution to a full screen resolution and it wouldn't allow me to dock apps.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:16 PM
  • thanks, this fixed my problem

A big fault that Microsoft didn't warn for this

Saturday, October 8, 2011 1:56 PM